What's new

Can anyone explain why this is happening to me on HTF lately? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
While I am browsing this forum, I am suddenly starting to get new screens for different websites such as Target.com and Netflix, which are companies that do pop-ups, but I've never seen full-screen ones. This happens automatically - suddenly my HTF screen is completely eclipsed by the screen of another site altogether, and I have to click on the X at top right to get rid of the screen. HFT is still there underneath, and is in my tray at the bottom, but this is really annoying - it's like getting gigantic pop-ups that obliterate what I was viewing entirely. Has anyone else run into this? What might be the cause? It doesn't seem to happen to me at other sites.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like you have some spyware installed that's popping up the ads. Do a search in the computer forum for spyware and you should find some links to tools that'll clean up your system for you. Sorry, I don't have those easily available to me or I'd post them.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Dick,

As pointed out, this has nothing to do with the HTF (just because you're here so often... :) ). I'll move this thread to 'Computers' for better exposure.

Cees

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
dick,
I got the same thing happening to me. Its some sort of spyware I know, but Ive tried 2 different spy sweepers and neither have worked. My babysitter is the culprit.

My only guess for mine that its SAH (shop at home) based spy.

maybee do a search for SAH on your comp.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
If you're running Windows XP, one of the most effective means of eliminating "Spyware" (and Browser "Hijacking") is to use Lavasofts' Ad-Aware 6 Personal Edition (a free download), in combination with XP's "System Restore" utility.

You should first go to the Lavasoft Site and Download "Ad-Aware":

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

After installing and running it, if you're still experiencing problems (and especially if your browser's home page has been "Hijacked" to another site), you then need to run XP's System Restore. There's a lot of misinformation regarding this utility. The System Restore invoked from the "Start" button via "Accessories->System Tools" will not delete any of your personal data files. It mostly restores the registry to a prior day. In most cases, if your Browser has been "Hijacked", it's due to default registry settings being altered by the offending "Spyware", so if you restore your registry to a day prior to the "Hijacking", you'll usually fix the problem.

Here's an excerpt from the official overview of the System Restore utility from the XP Help system:

Using these two utilities together should keep your Internet Browsing a mostly "Spyware" free zone. BE SURE to periodically update the Ad-Aware reference file via the convenient "Check for Updates Now" link on the Ad-Aware application's starting form.

Also, please be aware that "Ad-Aware" will not help keep your system free from "Computer Viruses" and "Worms". You will still need a good anti-virus utility for that.

Good Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks