What's new

Can anyone explain to me the appeal of Star Wars Galaxies? (1 Viewer)

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Im a huge SW fan and I very aware of Galaxies coming out later this year.. that said, I've never been a fan of or even played games of this genre. I've never played Everquest so I can't really "get into" that type of role. It seems that you just run around and maybe fight or pickup a job and do things on your computer that suck to do in real life. If I gotta have a job with my cyber bounty hunter, why don't I just do my job in real life? I guess I don't get it... can someone fill me in? Im not trying to be a smartass here - I really want to know what is fun, what makes the game tick, how much time you need to invest in it, etc. Thx.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Games like everquest are basically glorified chat rooms. If you like to get online and chat with your friends and wander around in a fantasy world killing things then you'll probably enjoy them, but when you break it down to its basics it is just a big chat room.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
so I can't really "get into" that type of role
Then these definitely are not your type of game. The appeal, at least to me, is the ability to play a character. To give that character a personality and roleplay.
In the case of SW galaxies I am really interested in running a shop. I think it would be fantastic to roleplay a shop owner in the same vein as watto, even better create your own personality. Its escapism at its best.
The problem with MMORPG's is that the majority of the player base is too busy giving a shit about being the most "uber". Even better they run around with the "You SuXXor and I roXXOr" talk (or however the fuck its spelled. God I hate internet lingo:thumbsdown: ) that really makes the games intolerable at times.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I probably won't get into it unless it has an action style interface (fat chance) at the very least like Phantasy Star Online

I bought UO the day it came out. Wandered around, deer killed me, wandered some more ,got some decent gear, PKilled
more wandering, got some decent gear, pkilled again

Got real sick of it, stopped playing

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Besides the social aspect, a key aspect is taking a character that starts as basically nothing and building it up to something that can kick some ass. I really haven't gotten into any of MMO games, or really RGPs really, but playing Dungeon Seige, I loved working an leveling up my character, getting the ability to use new spells, find new weapons, armor and magic items, and taking on bigger badder enemies and exploring new areas.

The apeal of Galazies is that you'll be able to do that in a Star Wars universe. Who wouldn't want to become a Jedi or a top bounty hunter? Sure, you could do your real job, but I think hunting down people for money might be a bit more fun than most people's jobs.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
The idea you coud start out as something like a Jawa and perhaps become a Jedi (or a sith!) if you are truy good enough fascinates me completely. I am not a big online gamer, and I will not be buying Galaxies because I know its premise would consume so much of my time, which is kind of sad to know it would have such an effect on me.
It sounds near limitless. One will apparently be able to start towns, build them from scratch, atract a community and apoint yourself as mayor and the like. It's very clever... You can even go to Toche Station and pick up some power converters for crying out loud... :emoji_thumbsup: :D
Dan

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
One will apparently be able to start towns, build them from scratch, atract a community and apoint yourself as mayor and the like. It's very clever... You can even go to Toche Station and pick up some power converters for crying out loud...
We'll have to wait and see if these things finally get implemented. To be honest with you, these type of features have been promised on so many online games in the past 2 years and none have yet to deliver on it. Shadowbane and SW Galaxies look to be the closest to doing so at this point...

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Who wouldn't want to become a Jedi or a top bounty hunter? Sure, you could do your real job, but I think hunting down people for money might be a bit more fun than most people's jobs
I agree - becoming a Jedi or bounty hunter is what fascinates me (and I think most people). I just have this feeling that that's all EVERYONE will want to do. I know I personally won't have the time to "become a jedi". I want to, but Im not going to play the game day and night... that said, I don't want to be some lame nerf herder :D either. Im sure I'll give the game a try, pay $10 a month or something and hate it after two weeks.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
that that's all EVERYONE will want to do
I have no doubt the Bounty Hunter will be a popular class but Verant is taking some serious steps to make sure they dont have thousands of Jedi running around.
You will have to dedicate some serious time and energy to reach the level if a Jedi in this game. (Kind of why I dont want to be one. (I have a life outside these worlds I'd like to keep;)

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
This kind of game does indeed intrigue me but, I have some serious reservations.

If it's anything like deathmatching, forget it. I just don't have the time that some pimply faced teenager, or some 30 year old loser with nothing beyond the internet as his life, has to invest in non-stop playing, so that I can reach a point were I can kick ass as well.

If this didn't happen quite so often, it can be fun but, all too often, while in my Quake II online days, I'd get whacked by a bunch of guys that could make near inhuman shots, over and over again. Either they were able to cheat (which it seemed like) or, they were at a playing level that was borderline insane. Either way, taking 5 steps forward and getting your head blown off every time you turn around, gets pretty damn irritating and defintely NOT fun.

Hopefully, they can somehow balance things out a bit more in Galaxies. I certainly don't mind getting my ass handed to me every now and then by a great player but, when it's overrun with said geeks/nerds that spend ALL their waking hours playing, soon it drives away all the moderate to casual users.

You just can't compete with that kind of dedication/lack of a life.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Comparing a MMORPG to Quake is useless. It is not deathmatch. It is talking to players, going on quests, killing monsters, building up your character etc. The people that spend more time in the game definitely get stronger characters, better items etc, but it's not like they just run around and mindlessly slaughter a newbie 5 seconds after he joins the game.

Since I never played Everquest, I don't know how big of a problem player killing was, or even if it was a problem. But I do know there was some sort of troubles with new players not being able to get going easy enough. Hopefully Verant will sort out something for that.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Since I never played Everquest, I don't know how big of a problem player killing was, or even if it was a problem. But I do know there was some sort of troubles with new players not being able to get going easy enough. Hopefully Verant will sort out something for that.
For Everquest and especially Ultima Online, player killing was a big issue. These days those problems are really a thing of the past. In newer online games like Anarchy and Dark Age there are specific area in the game that are dedicated to PVP and if you dont wantto participate simply dont go to those areas.

Some of the newer games like Shadowbane are being built from the ground up as a PVP game so that is definitely a game for the harcore PVP'er but something like Galaxies, I guarentee will not have scenario's like you described Derrik.

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
When I beta-tested EverQuest, PKing wasn't a problem because if you didn't want to participate in it/be a victim of it, all you had to do was play on a non-PK server.

I never played the release version. Did that change?

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I never played the release version. Did that change?
If I remember right you could make yourself a PK'er in the regular servers, but could only kill other PK'ers. I can't really speak from knowledge on that though as I only played EQ for 2 weeks and hated it:frowning:. Any EQ'ers care to enlighten us?
UO on the other hand I do know was PK hell. Dark Age has specific zones for PVP that are cutoff from the main hunting grounds, like the battlegrounds and the RVR zones where the keeps are. Anarchy uses supresson zones. There is a supression gas in each area and depending on the level of supression you can or cannot PVP.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
There are PK servers and you can be a PK on a bluebie server by turning in a quest book.

There are maybe 3 PKs on a bluebie server, so that was a waste. You cant heal someone who is PK if you are not. You cant PK someone who is not PK if you are.

PK, even on the PvP servers, is an afterthought, and is controlled by uber guilds with 9000x the equipment you will ever have. so unless you enjoy being ganked 20 times a day, dont bother.

There is a teams server with points, called Sullon Zek which is slightly better.

But bottom line is that PVP and EQ dont mix for a good 95% of the players.

If you want to try EQ out, start on Ayonae Ro and look for Kadath (me) or any of the other Valiant Crusaders, we'll help get you on your feet with some money for spells and a backpack, as starting with nothing (like we did) is waaaay frustrating when you are playing with supremely twinked other people.

I've played EQ since August of 99, and I cant imagine having more fun in a game. I cant wait for SWG and EQ2 to prove me wrong! (cause Anarchy online and DAOC sure didnt!)

Sam

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
MMORPGs have always appeared to me as playgrounds for hackers, programmers, and chat room fodder. Are games like this ever vastly populated with 'normal' gamers? (Meaning, gamers that play by the rules.)

The goal of online RPGs is to bypass the game's intended structure by whatever means possible to be King of the Mountain for as long as possible. With each cheat discovered, a patch will be released, followed by another cheat, then another patch, ad nauseum.

Since when has the actual content (quests) of MMORPGs been relevant? It's all about obtaining rare items, selling these virtual items on Ebay for a real profit. I don't doubt that the SW:Galaxies team is hugely aware of all this, but they can't stop the tide. Mark my words when we all start seeing the 'instant jedi' moniker being sold for a pretty penny.

SW: Galaxies, a really awesome concept that will invariably be abused and ruined by people with literally nothing better to do with their lives.

-J

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks