What's new

Can anyone explain the crossover on the AVR-320? (1 Viewer)

Joe Wilmore

Stunt Coordinator
I have read various posts regarding using the 40 and 60 hz crossover points when setting the speakers to large. I can't understand how this differs from using 80 or 100 hz, and setting the speakers to small. Some people have said that when setting the speakers to large, the crossover is only a low pass filter? Can someone explain this. Also, how does this apply when listening in two channel mode?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I am not entirely familiar with this receiver but the setting manages both high and low pass, lowering the setting will not change this. Bass below the x-over is sent to the sub, and everything else is sent to the other speakers. I believe the x-over is disabled if you set the mains to large (often the case with most receivers I've setup). This may be different for the H/K. It applies the same in 2ch, unless you use a "source direct" or analog bypass mode, which normally ignores bass management (x-over) and tone settings.

Phil M

Stunt Coordinator
Here is my understanding (atleast it's how mine works).

The receiver has (2) speaker settings, LARGE or SMALL.

When you select SMALL, you can then select the crossover point of either 80 or 100. All information below that selected point is sent to the sub, everything above to the speakers.

When you choose LARGE, you then must select either 40 or 60. Irregardless of your choice, ALL information is sent to the L/R main speakers, and the sub only gets the info below the selected crossover point.

Kind of weird huh?

Phil

Sheldon

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Joe:I own the H/K AVR510 and this is what I did.I use DefTech BP 10's as my mains so I set them and my rears to the small setting.I believe that I then set the crossover to 80hz so that all info below the 80 will go directly to my sub...works great!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks