What's new

Can anyone explain the business model of "VUDU" for me? (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I keep seeing people pitch VUDU as a walmart owned property, etc. I am wondering if someone can explain to me the realities of VUDU. I can't figure out any way by which it makes any economic sense. Let me put it this way:

Rent high def:

VUDU, fair selection: $5.

Redbox, minimal selection: Blurays $1.50

Netflix: available post window (which seems to be case of VUDU, which lags Redbox), part of monthly fee..

Buy High Def, examples:

Bluray title 1:

Cost at Walmart to Buy: $19.95

Cost of VUDU digital Copy: $15.

Of course, no extras, redownloads, and lower quality on the VUDU compared to BD.

Streaming options:

Netflix: watch whatever you want, unlimited ($7)

VUDU: Pay for what you watch. (no fee except what you watch, but 2 flicks for example would be $11/12)

I can't for the life of me figure out how there is any value at all in a service like VUDU. I can't see why people would chose VUDU over almost anything else out there. Can anyone explain their business plan?

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I think, other than the quality being higher than netflix HD streams in both audio and video (VUDU has 1080 24p and 5.1 DD plus on all of their titles, Netflix is 720p and only a few titles are 5.1 so far), it might be the "see it here first" appeal. In some cases they have films the same day they are released in theaters.

Doug

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Yeah, I think it's a classic case of paying for something that is higher quality. Not to mention the fact that they are one of the few outlets to have new releases for rental day and date.

The 1080p/DD+ combo is head and shoulders better than NF's stream. Many of their titles are available in HDX.

Has there ever been a time when I had a $30 steak dinner when I could have just had a $6 value meal? Yes....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks