What's new

Can anyone direct me to a good how to veneering site (1 Viewer)

Gary Joe

Stunt Coordinator
I am going to build a SCH bookshelf kit. I got to planning the build in my head when I realised that I'm not quite sure how to match up the edges if i were to do an oak veneer? Or mayby have them look similar to the GR research AV1 as it is shown on their website (sorry, I can't get a hyperlink or pic to post). I've got all the tools and the general know-how, just missing the intricate knowledge that is missing from not having finished a speaker this way before. My only experience is with car audio sub boxes covered in carpet.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
For sharp corners, I've found the key is to make sure you don't cut your veneer too closely to the edge. You risk under cutting it and your corner joint will have a gap in it. I've found that if you trim your veneer closely leaving a thin bit of overhang and then you sand it flush it works well and leaves a seamless edge. Like these mini bookshelf numbers I've done (my best veneering job to date):
Link Removed
I've never invested in one of those fancy edge cutters.. from what I've heard, they work well.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Gary Joe, good choice of suppliers1 I've built several SCH kits. If you want to round over your front vertical edges, you can use a single piece of 10-mil paper-backed veneer to wrap around one side, the front baffle and then the other side. If you use plenty of contact cement, the veneer will stick to the rounded edges just fine. I'd use at least a 1/2" radius roundover bit. You can make out the rounded over edges of my SCH tower here:
http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/My_page.html
Sorry for the low resolution photos.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks