What's new

Can anyone confirm the defect in the Sony DAV-C770? (1 Viewer)

KyleG

Stunt Coordinator
I've had this thing (it's a Home Theater in a Box) for close to two years now, and I think it is an absolutely despicable machine. Right off the bat it had a difficult time reading DVDs, sometimes shutting itself off at the layer change, and other times not even reading the DVD at all. Now it's getting worse. It reads DVDs about half the time. Sony denies any problem at all. I hate Sony now. Anyone else have one of these "Dream Machines"? If so, do you also hate hate hate it?

Cheers,
Kyle

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Don't hate Sony , hate the HI-FI group within Sony because they designed the Dream Systems instead of the DVD group (that's why remote codes don't match up correctly with other Sony products). I service the things and I would NEVER consider buying one. Of course I would never buy any HTIB. There are way too many long term problems associated with combining functions in one box. Out of warranty almost any repair will cost $150 minimum with many running $400-$500 due to the nature of the repairs needed. The Marketing divisions sell price , performance , and features. Reliability , durability , and serviceability are terms that have been removed from their dictionary.

You probably need new optics and if the C770 has the same production problem as the FC7 then it needs a new DVD board too. No servicer is likely to be able to help (even if they really wanted to help you). Return to factory is the only practical repair option and that's still pretty expensive.

KyleG

Stunt Coordinator
Steve,

Thanks. I thought as much. This thing was a gift to me a couple years ago, and, while it was appreciated, it would not have been something I'd have even considered buying. For $500 more I could have created a decent component system. Oh well. I'll be buying a new DVD player soon.

Users who are viewing this thread