What's new

Can anyone confirm the aspect ratio of R1 Prime Suspect VI (1 Viewer)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The box says it is 4:3 full frame, but even when it aired on my local PBS affiliate as part of "Masterpiece Theater", it was letterboxed to 16:9. Does anyone here actually own the WB R1 release of this title?

Regards,

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
According to a review at DVD Talk, the R1 disc is full frame (for some odd reason) and the R2 is in the proper widescreen (so why did R1 get cheated?!).

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I bit the bullet and purchased it, and, horror of horrors, it is quite clearly cropped 4:3 as indicated on the packaging. As far as I know, it was never broadcast in this aspect ratio in R1, so I don't know why HBO/Granada/whomever would consider inflicting this on those of us in the USA and Canada. It's a great program, and deserves better.

Regards,

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
PBS did air Prime Suspect 6 in 1.78:1 widescreen (16:9 enhanced for PBS stations that also aired it for HDTV viewers). I liked seeing it in widescreen (and would have bought the DVD if it was in widescreen).

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
To add insult to injury, the cast & crew interviews supplement is in 16:9 enhanced widescreen with lots of properly framed clips from the show that look much better than the actual program. :angry:

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks