What's new

Can anyone comment on the v.s.s headphone option of the Panasonic F87 (1 Viewer)

Gordon Moore

Second Unit
I'm looking at this player...I was curious how capable the heaphone surround option is on this (does it work)?

Sort of?
Not all all?
do you get a sense of space or is it more like an expanded stereo circuit ala Q-Sound?

I'm on headphones quite often and receivers with dolby headphone are few and far between (and expensive). I already have a set of cans (HD-580's) so new headphones similar to what sony and pioneer offers with the processor isn't an option nor cost effective.

Can anyone comment if the v.s.s headphone circuit works okay?

It's not a make or break type thing I was just curious.

Thanks for any replies

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Gord you're more then welcome to try that feature on my Denon as it has a headphone jack with volume control. Just bring over your headphones the next time you're over.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I got over to my friend's place and did not have a headphone ADAPTER! DOH. Will have to try it tomorrow.

Page

Stunt Coordinator

You might want to look into this Denon receiver which has the Dolby Headphone feature:

http://www.dolby.com/Consumer/Person...ound/Products/

I picked one up for $299 which included two speakers and the receiver. (Do a search on the Internet. There are many places selling this unit for the same price.)

I also own the Pioneer wireless Dolby Headphone system. It's quite nice, but as you mentioned includes a pair of headphones which you don't need.

Either the Denon or the Pioneer work great with third-party headphones.

I've got a couple of Panasonic players which have the V.S.S. feature and the times I played around with it, it worked okay. It wasn't as good as Dolby headphone, which I consider the best sounding 5.1 headphone experience. I'd rate V.S.S. maybe a cut above Q-sound.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Whats this? Another reason why I should pick up a DVD F87? I have headphones I use sometimes and that would be a neat feature.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Tried out the two modes today. Pretty cool, but not really the same feeling as true surround. It gives a very good sense of spaciousness, but not entirely as if there were sounds coming from behind you. Overall a nice feature, but not a selling point for me.

So far, it seems to be a very good budget changer.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
..yep and again, I personally won't be using its de-interlacing, so I'll pick one up very soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks