What's new

Can anyone advise me about these U.K. Blu-rays? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
There are a half-dozen titles I am intersted in acquiring from Amazon U.K., but there is no information regarding frame rates. I want to be able to use these on my region 1 player (although I would be willing to purchase an all-region if a large number of non-region 1 discs are available that would require its use). I understand that in most cases, the PAL vs. NTSC is not an issue, but that occasionally it is. Can anyone provide me with info about the following titles, so far available only in region 2:

THE ELEPHANT MAN
MICROCOSMOS
THE PIANIST
GREAT EXPECTATIONS (1946)
ALMOST FAMOUS (EXTENDED)

THE INNOCENTS (1963) will be coming out shortly (!), a title I am virtually certain will never make it to a region 1 release (we were luckly to get the DVD some years ago).

Thanks for your help.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Dick,

I have a couple of these titles, but haven't watched them yet. However, I'll try to watch Almost Famous this week and will sample the other title to give you an idea about the quality of them.

Crawdaddy

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
-The Elephant Man is Region A/B and will play on all North American players.

-Microcosmos
is apparently region-free, though I'm not 100% sure about that one.

-That particular edition of The Pianist is Region B locked, but there is a Canadian version available http://www.amazon.ca/Pianist-Blu-ray-Adrien-Brody/dp/B0024396WE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1265753930&sr=8-1), though it's 1080i and only has a standard Dolby Digital track - nothing lossless.

-Great Expectations is region-free and should work without problems.

-Same for Almost Famous, region-free.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I can confirm Great Expectations and Almost Famous being region-free. I've watched the former in its entirety while the latter I'm still in the midst of with its 161 minute runtime.

Crawdaddy

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Thanks to all. I can only hope that THE INNOCENTS will also be region-free. And if anyone can confirm MICROCOSMS, I'd be grateful.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks