What's new

Can anybody confirm if the entr'acte music for CLEOPATRA has been fixed? (1 Viewer)

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
At the end of disc one it' still in the RIGHT PLACE, before act two. It's just not where you wanted it, but it's not like it's out of order!

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Part two should come on right after the entr'acte music There should be no pause to change the disc.Music ends, lights dim, curtain opens, picture on. Thats roadshow folks!

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Moe Dickstein said:
but its not in the wrong order.
No one ever said it was in the wrong order. But to put the entr'acte at the end of disc one places the break in the wrong spot. It really doesn't matter much unless you are trying to replicate the roadshow experience with an audience at home, but isn't that what home theatres are all about?

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
No, some people just want to watch the movie and appreciate the movie just starting right up when you put the disc in, Glad I have the UK release.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Moe Dickstein said:
No, some people just want to watch the movie and appreciate the movie just starting right up when you put the disc in, Glad I have the UK release.
There is perhaps a generational difference here because those of us who grew up in the roadshow era consider the Overture, Entr'acte etc to be part of the movie. Not something which should be cut from the movie or removed from the presentation.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Plus you know, we're not in a theater where people need bathroom breaks or time to go get popcorn. I guess I don't find a great appeal in SLAVISHLY replicating an experience that I am not a gigantic fan of in the first place. I far prefer viewing at home than going to a theater, I barely go once or twice a year these days.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Moe Dickstein said:
Plus you know, we're not in a theater where people need bathroom breaks or time to go get popcorn. I guess I don't find a great appeal in SLAVISHLY replicating an experience that I am not a gigantic fan of in the first place. I far prefer viewing at home than going to a theater, I barely go once or twice a year these days.
But some of us have home theatres where guests need bathroom breaks and time to go get popcorn and generally discuss what we saw in Act I before we dim the lights for Act II.

I barely go to a theatre once or twice a year either, because they lack the showmanship I can give a film at home.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Moe Dickstein said:
At the end of disc one it' still in the RIGHT PLACE, before act two. It's just not where you wanted it, but it's not like it's out of order!
That is not a correct statement. That may be the way you want to view the film but not as the film makers intended. All roadshows films that included an intermission and entr'acte always placed the entr'acte at the beginning of the second half of the film as a sort of overture to the second half. The UK disc as stated is incorrect and the newly released US version is apparently corrected.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Moe Dickstein said:
Well if you don't want to replicate the roadshow presentation you can simply press the skip button and go straight to the next chapter. In fact, you don't even need to go to that effort because you have the UK disc, which doesn't have the Entr'acte at the beginning of part 2, so what's the problem?

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Paul Rossen said:
That is not a correct statement. That may be the way you want to view the film but not as the film makers intended. All roadshows films that included an intermission and entr'acte always placed the entr'acte at the beginning of the second half of the film as a sort of overture to the second half. The UK disc as stated is incorrect and the newly released US version is apparently corrected.
Overture - part one - ent'racte - part twoThose elements are in the correct ORDER in all releases.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Paul Rossen said:
Ok because that was my whole point all along. Nothing is stopping anyone from pausing the disc at the end of part one (or ANYTIME really) and then starting the entr'acte then putting in disc two for part two. I can't imagine having people over without everyone saying to "skip ahead to the movie" if I were to play an entr'acte when running a film like this. It would be like expecting everyone to dress up to come over and watch the movie, it's another thing we don't do when watching at home as opposed to going to a roadshow in the 50s or 60s

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Moe Dickstein said:
Overture - part one - ent'racte - part twoThose elements are in the correct ORDER in all releases.
You're omitting the crucial break in the film.

US: Overture - part one - FORCED BREAK IN THE FILM - entr'acte - part two.

UK: Overture - part one - entr'acte - FORCED BREAK IN THE FILM - part two.

With the latter, you may as well split the film up onto two discs at the conclusion of any scene. You're stopping the film at a point where no break was intended.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Oh well wouldn't have been a big deal to me either way. I just want to watch the movie.It's a four hour film so the chance of me watching it more then two times is very low and IHardly need to sit through the overture and entr'acte more than the one time.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
TonyD and Moe, it's simple, get the UK disc and go with it. I have read many threads about correct aspect ratio and Blu-rays that do not look like film. I am for the correct aspect ratio and for the transfer to look like film. I also want movies released on DVD or Blu-Ray to emulate as much as possible the original theatrical experience. And the Entr'acte played before the start of part two is correct. It was there to to bring the audience into the mood for the rest of the film. The break occurs before the Entr'acte not after. It's just that plain and simple.

SteveJKo

Second Unit
Paul Rossen said:
....All roadshows films that included an intermission and entr'acte always placed the entr'acte at the beginning of the second half of the film as a sort of overture to the second half. The UK disc as stated is incorrect and the newly released US version is apparently corrected.
Exactly. I still can't believe the overture of Scrooge was left off the blu-ray.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Rob_Ray said:
You're omitting the crucial break in the film. US: Overture - part one - FORCED BREAK IN THE FILM - entr'acte - part two. UK: Overture - part one - entr'acte - FORCED BREAK IN THE FILM - part two. With the latter, you may as well split the film up onto two discs at the conclusion of any scene. You're stopping the film at a point where no break was intended.
So I guess you never ever watched a movie on a Laserdisc eh? Talk to me after you look at my CAV version of Gone With The Wind with 5 discs...Home and Theater are different experiences.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
ahollis said:
TonyD and Moe, it's simple, get the UK disc and go with it. I have read many threads about correct aspect ratio and Blu-rays that do not look like film. I am for the correct aspect ratio and for the transfer to look like film. I also want movies released on DVD or Blu-Ray to emulate as much as possible the original theatrical experience. And the Entr'acte played before the start of part two is correct. It was there to to bring the audience into the mood for the rest of the film. The break occurs before the Entr'acte not after. It's just that plain and simple.
I have the UK disc, have had it for over a year.I get irritated at this particular complaint because it is SO petty and unimportant. The Entr'acte was there so that you had time to get back to your seat before the curtain, it wasnt like they waited until everyone was settled in and then started the music. When there are discs with REAL problems it seems like wasted energy to spend pages and pages across 5 threads bitching about THIS.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Moe Dickstein said:
So I guess you never ever watched a movie on a Laserdisc eh? Talk to me after you look at my CAV version of Gone With The Wind with 5 discs...Home and Theater are different experiences.
I have that same CAV laserdisc box set. Also Ben-Hur. And while I love the packaging on both, thank goodness the days of side breaks are over!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks