Can any of the CD/DVD Mega-Changers hold up to the RP-91 in progressive DVD playback?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Luke_Y, Oct 15, 2001.

1. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

Can any of the CD/DVD Mega-Changers hold up to the RP-91 in progressive DVD playback?
    The reason I ask is that once I settle on some speakers my next upgrade is going to be the RP-91. I was also thinking of getting one of the Sony CD Mega-Changers to manage my out of control CD collection. I always discounted the CD/DVD Mega changers as I didn't think I could get the same DVD performance from a sub 1k Mega as the RP-91.
    The fact is I don't think I ever really looked into it. If the progressive playback was as good I could eliminate a component and manage both collections. So what do you guys think?
    ------------------
    Luke

2. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

Bump
    ------------------
    Luke

3. Jah-Wren Ryel

Jah-Wren Ryel Stunt Coordinator

It is easy to get in trouble asserting a negative, but AFAIK, there are no DVD jukeboxes that have progressive out - yet.
    Personally, I don't get the point for DVD jukeboxes, unless you have small children. Unlike music, you are rarely going to need random access to your DVDs, usually you pop one in and watch it all the way through. For my money a DVD player that does DVD-A + a plain CD jukebox makes better sense. I'd love a DVD-A/SACD/CD jukebox, but I haven't found one yet...

4. Rob Robinson

Rob Robinson Second Unit

Doesn't Kenwood make a Sovereign progressive megachanger for about $1500?

5. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Yes.
    The Kenwood Sovereign has DVD-A w/ Bass managment, Panasonic MPEG decoder (no chroma defect), Faroudja chipset (superiour de-interlacing over Panasonics Genesis chipset).
    The only thing the Kenwood doesn't do is zoom.
    Regards,
    ------------------
    John Kotches
    Contributing Writer
    Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

6. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

The new Kenwood Sovereign (400 discs, can chain 3 for 1,200) is supposed to do progressive. Includes the Faroudja deinterlacer.
    As for DVD changers in general, it really is about convenience. Not having to get up from the couch [​IMG] dealing with the cases, snapping the discs off the spindles, fingerprints; being able to categorize the discs any way you want with the same disc in multiple categories if desired to better manage and access your collection. A changer also makes more sense if the player is not in the theater room, but off to the side somewhere.
    //Ken

7. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

8. Darryl_B

Darryl_B Stunt Coordinator

9. Andrew P

Andrew P Second Unit

I purchased both the Kenwood 5700 which I reviewed and the Kenwood 5900. Both went back. The picture quality of the Panasonic is slightly better than the Kenwood. The Kenwood does provide superior de-interlacing though.
    You will have to decide if the cost $450 vs $1,199 justifies the difference. To my eyes the Panasonic has the better overall picture and the unit rarely combs as it is except on special type materials.
    Andy

10. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

11. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

But how well does a mega DVD changer like the 5900 play CD's??