What's new

Can any of the CD/DVD Mega-Changers hold up to the RP-91 in progressive DVD playback? (1 Viewer)

Luke_Y

Second Unit
Can any of the CD/DVD Mega-Changers hold up to the RP-91 in progressive DVD playback?
The reason I ask is that once I settle on some speakers my next upgrade is going to be the RP-91. I was also thinking of getting one of the Sony CD Mega-Changers to manage my out of control CD collection. I always discounted the CD/DVD Mega changers as I didn't think I could get the same DVD performance from a sub 1k Mega as the RP-91.
The fact is I don't think I ever really looked into it. If the progressive playback was as good I could eliminate a component and manage both collections. So what do you guys think?
------------------
Luke

Jah-Wren Ryel

Stunt Coordinator
It is easy to get in trouble asserting a negative, but AFAIK, there are no DVD jukeboxes that have progressive out - yet.
Personally, I don't get the point for DVD jukeboxes, unless you have small children. Unlike music, you are rarely going to need random access to your DVDs, usually you pop one in and watch it all the way through. For my money a DVD player that does DVD-A + a plain CD jukebox makes better sense. I'd love a DVD-A/SACD/CD jukebox, but I haven't found one yet...

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Yes.
The Kenwood Sovereign has DVD-A w/ Bass managment, Panasonic MPEG decoder (no chroma defect), Faroudja chipset (superiour de-interlacing over Panasonics Genesis chipset).
The only thing the Kenwood doesn't do is zoom.
Regards,
------------------
John Kotches
Contributing Writer
Link Removed

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
The new Kenwood Sovereign (400 discs, can chain 3 for 1,200) is supposed to do progressive. Includes the Faroudja deinterlacer.
As for DVD changers in general, it really is about convenience. Not having to get up from the couch :) dealing with the cases, snapping the discs off the spindles, fingerprints; being able to categorize the discs any way you want with the same disc in multiple categories if desired to better manage and access your collection. A changer also makes more sense if the player is not in the theater room, but off to the side somewhere.
//Ken

Luke_Y

Second Unit
Personally, I don't get the point for DVD jukeboxes
Jah-Wren Ryel, For me the point would mostly be collection Mgmt (saving space) and reduction of components. Like I said I have only just now considered it, and only if I could get Progressive DVD performance equal to the RP-91.
The Sovereign looks promising if it could be had for a bit less. How do you guys think the progressive performance will be.
Doesn't Integra make one as well?
------------------
Luke

Darryl_B

Stunt Coordinator
Doesn't Integra make one as well?
Actually, I think Integra makes only a single-disc unit. Don't know what kind of progressive chip it's usuing but I'm certain it isn't either the Faroudja or Silicon Image chipsets.
Happy shopping
smile.gif

Andrew P

Second Unit
I purchased both the Kenwood 5700 which I reviewed and the Kenwood 5900. Both went back. The picture quality of the Panasonic is slightly better than the Kenwood. The Kenwood does provide superior de-interlacing though.
You will have to decide if the cost $450 vs $1,199 justifies the difference. To my eyes the Panasonic has the better overall picture and the unit rarely combs as it is except on special type materials.
Andy

Luke_Y

Second Unit
You will have to decide if the cost $450 vs $1,199 justifies the difference.
Andrew just to clarify, I'm not directly comparing the two on cost as my plan was to get the RP-91 and a CD mega changer. The combined cost of those two would possibly be in the range of a progressive capable CD/DVD mega changer.
To ME the RP is definitely the best stand alone player you can buy without spending a heck of allot more money
smile.gif

------------------
Luke

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks