Can any good RCA cable be used for coaxial digital connection ??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert_Dufresne, May 22, 2002.

1. Robert_Dufresne

Robert_Dufresne Stunt Coordinator

I would like to know if I can use a good RCA cable
    to connect my DVD's coaxial digital output to my
    receiver .
    Thanks
    Robert[​IMG]

2. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

i've temporarily used a single acoustic research pro-series rca cable for a digital coax before and did not notice any ill effects. however, this was for less than a day so ymmv.

kevin t

3. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Yes.

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Supposed to be 75 ohm. Normal RCA audio cable isn't. But any video cable is.

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

The specification for the coaxial-digital connection is called the "SPDIF" (Sony Phillips Digital Interface). It calls for a cable made with 75 ohm coax.

All video cables are made with 75 ohm coax and this is what they had in mind. (They were trying to let you buy a common-as-dirt cable).

Audio cables can be made with 50/75/110 and even 300 ohm coax. So just using an audio cable is a bit of a gamble.

Some people have mistakenly used an audio cable and the system appeared to work. But then they noticed some audio drop-outs. On one system this happened about every 15 minutes, on someone else's, nearly every minute. We finally helped them trace it to the cable.

An inexpensive Video cable from Best Buy or Radio Shack (~$15) is all you need.

Good Luck.

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I've had drop-outs from using a cheap audio cable. I've also had perfect performance with no drop-outs on another system. So there you go. I say give it a try.

7. JonBouche

JonBouche Agent

I had basically the same experience as Philip. On my old system, as used a very basic audio patchcord for the coax audio connection to my receiver. When I tried another receiver using the same cable, I had audio drops about every 5 seconds. As soon as I switched cables to a higher grade video cable, it completely went away.

Use decent cables if you can do it. It's not worth trying to save a few bucks.

8. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

9. Mike Keith

Mike Keith Second Unit

Yes you can, don't worry about the 75 Ohm thing, all RCA connections are 50 ohm, no such thing as a 75 ohm RCA connector, it has nothing to do with the cable it has to do with the distance between the center conductor to the outer shield. Thats why Pro video uses BNC or TNC connections for proper Video impeadance. Anyway it's a moot point since your talking about a Digital coax connection from a DVD player which is for Audio only.

10. Pete Jennings

Pete Jennings Second Unit

Mike, you stated