What's new

Can an SVS operate upside down? (1 Viewer)

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
Hmmm. I really don't know how to ask this, but whenever I get about 3 feet away from my SVS I hear the truly deep gut-wrenching bass that everyone talks about (16-46 pci) but as soon as I sit on my couch (8 feet away) I can only hear it slightly, and all of that incredibly deep bass has completely disappeared. I have it calibrated, and have even tried different spots in my room (right now it's at the left-hand corner of my room).

I was thinking of maybe turning it UPSIDE DOWN. That's right. I just want to see what will happen to the bass. Maybe I can improve the bass? I've already tried every location in my room, so this would be the next step. Would this hurt the SVS in any way? I certainly would not even dare try it if it's going to damage it.

Fredster

Stunt Coordinator
Sideways perhaps - the top is a port and shouldn't be blocked.

This sounds like a "location" problem to me. Continue moving sub around. Also adjusting the phase might help, it did with mine (20-39PCi).

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
How about trying the old trick of placing your sub where you will be sitting and moving your ears around the room until you find a good spot?

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
Whoops! I forgot to try the "phase" switch every time that I moved it. That must be why it didn't sound any different. Hmm...Now that I think about it, I think I'll just put right right behind the couch and toggle the phase switch.

Jeff & Jason, I did try what you said. I placed the entire huge sub on top of the couch and I got on my hands and knees and crawled around the floor with my spl meter, but all of the readings were the same. I should have tried the phase switch.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter

You should play something you're familiar with(movie or music), and listen to the quality of the bass(not just quantity). I have tried plotting the response at potential sub locations with the sub in the listening position and it's usually comes close to the response when I reverse the locations.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks