What's new

Can an RPTV picture be as good as a direct-view CRT? (1 Viewer)

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
*sigh* This is not getting any easier.

Just when I thought I had my mind set on a good ($2K) RPTV, "the nagging doubts" came back.

Many online dealers all have the warning labels on their product pages about "burn in" and "caution against static images" and such.

Also, I know how good a properly calibrated direct-view CRT can look. I just am craving a bigger picture and I don't know if going from a 32" to a 36" tube will properly scratch that itch. :frowning:

But then again, CRTs are pretty much immune to the maladies that plague RPTVs...

Help. Advice. Reassurance. Smack in the head, please. :confused:

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

You can burn in a CRT direct view just like a RPTV. Ever see a bank machine? They are not using RPTV technology.

A properly set up RPTV can deliver more detail than a directview set in most cases ... especially from equivalent viewing distances. For HD ... you will typically get in the 1200 horizontal lines of res range on RPTV and 700 to 800 lines on directview sets.

Regards

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Hi Mike,

I am aware that CRTs can be burned in; it's just a lot harder to do, AFAIK.

I know that if you leave a static image on-screen for hours on end ANY set will get burned-in.

With the RPTV, I just worry about stuff like the Discovery Channel logo in the lower-right hand corner...I watch Discovery a lot. :emoji_thumbsup: It's probably pretty inane of me to worry about it, but I've never had an RPTV before so I've no "knowlege base" to draw from.

That's where you come in! :D LOL! :emoji_thumbsup:

Thanks very much for the information and reassurance, Mike. Coming from you, it means a lot. I feel much better now. :)

Dwight Amato

Stunt Coordinator
I used VE with my Panny 47" and never had much fear at all, and of course never saw a problem. After I had it ISF'd, I now have no fear of burn in.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
As long as you've calibrated, I wouldn't worry too much about burn-in, even on a RPTV. Sure, projection CRTs drive the tubes much harder, but unless you watch discovery 24/7, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Thanks guys. I'm just really paranoid about it.

I'm reading as much as I can and researching the various models...still need some help though. The Toshiba I wanted (57H83) apparently has a "ringing" problem that's well-known. OK, a week of research shot. Now what? *sigh* Thank goodness for Teh Intarweb. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks