Can Amps that arent muted but left on 24/7 damage speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Bell, Dec 3, 2002.

1. Jason Bell

Jason Bell Stunt Coordinator

It seems like its gonna be pretty inconvient for me to use the muting function of my amp. So how I was gonna set it up would be for the pre-amp to be in standby and the amp just left on 24/7. Even though there is no signal going to the amp, since its not muted, its still sending power to my speakers. Of course its just enough power that i can hear a hiss in the tweeter if I put my ear right up to it. So my question is will leaving power going to my speakers 24/7 damage them or greatly shorten there life? Thanks

2. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

No, there is almost no chance your speakers will be damaged by leaving the amplifiers on all the time.

3. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Yeah, you'll be fine. In studios, amps are left on all the time w/ speakers hooked up to them. No problem as long as you don't mind the slight hiss when you get up close.

You might consider one of those power units that will provide delayed turn-on of your amp as well as turning the amp off first when you shut down. I know there are some Monster units that do it, and I'm sure there are plenty of others.

4. Jason Bell

Thanks for the responses.

5. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

I use the 12v trigger from my pre to my amp. Works perfectly. Turn on/off the prepro and bingo, the amp is triggered on/off.

6. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

There are remote controled power strips (iie: christmas tree lights) that are very cheap.

Doesnot hurt to leave the amps on, I left a Marantz 75x2 on for 9 years, didnt hurt it.

7. Jason Bell

Hi Chip,
    Ya I dont have a Preamp I'm using a receiver and it doesnt have any kind of trigger. I called the tech guys at B&K and he said if I wanted to mute the amp to just reach behind and use the defeat switch as a toggle. This works but makes me nervous because I cant see what I'm doing and groping around behind the amp I'm afraid of accidentally hitting the speaker terminals. That might hurt.[​IMG] He also said that it wouldnt hurt the amp or my speakers to just leave it in Full on mode. Thanks for the help.

8. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I've actually heard some talk about amps sounding better when they are left on but I don't think it's in stone.

Wouldn't a drawback be power consumption? The amps do generate some heat when left on.

9. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

No problem Jason.

If i didn't have the option of using the built in trigger, i'd have no problem at all just leaving my amp on all the time. It'll be fine, i'm sure..

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Nope, no problem leaving the amps on. I use the 12-volt trigger function to turn on my stereo integrated amp and stereo power amp for convenience, though.