What's new

Can acoustic ceiling tiles be used as absorbers/bass traps? (1 Viewer)

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
After renovating my basement room to create an HT/music room, I have left over tiles from the drop ceiling that was originally there. They are 5/8inch thick rigid fibreglass and a box of 12 2'x4'x5/8" is pretty inexpensive, if I need more. My question is this. As they look just like the Owens Corning rigid fibreglass series 700 (albeit thinner), could I just glue several panels together to reach the desired thickness for bass traps, and also use them on the walls (also layered, just not as thick) as acoustic treatment? Thanks. Oh, and if I can use them on the walls, should I glue them to the wall or hang them like pictures with wires, a bit away from the walls?

KenA

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ken Appell
You really want to vary the materials in a bass trap, otherwise you'll just catch a small frequency range. Sandwich the fibreglass between some plywood and you'll have a better trap.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Paul, yes, if they are dense fiberboard panels like the OC 700 stuff. You probably don't want to glue them together, just mount them in a frame or something for on-the wall absorbers several inches thick (the thicker, the better the bass absorption), and also mounting them a little off the wall can help too, but takes up more space.

For deeper bass absorption, you need a lot of thickness, so stuffing your corners is often a good method, or straddling thick panels across them, but stuffing behind them should help better.

I'm not exactly sure what ken is suggesting building...

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Am I correct in thinking that making and hanging such panels on my walls at the reflection points and behind my speakers will work in the same fashion as using Auralex-type acoustic wedged foam panels? As for stuffing behind the corner bass traps, I have some leftover batts of insulation from my wall, could I just stuff that behind some panels (thereby making the panels themselves less thick--just looking to maximize my dollar value)?

Also, as the final layout of the space necessitated some compromises (I needed about 8x11 of the 22x11 space for storage so I will hang a heavy velour curtain as a "wall" in the rear of the theatre space) will bass traps in the front corners be noticeable or MUST I place some in the storage area as well? I thought I could get away with traps up front and a BFD for any contingent problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks