What's new

Can a VGA signal work on my HDTV? (1 Viewer)

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
Hello everyone. I have a Sony 30" WEGA CRT HDTV. It has 2 component inputs, and 1 HDMI. I was wondering if there is anyway possible for me to hookup my computer's VGA output to that TV and be able to view a true computer picture? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Is your computer a desktop or a laptop? If it's a desktop, your best bet would be to get a newer video card with DVI. Then you can get a DVI-HDMI cable to connect the two.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
Thanks guys. I'm thinking of going with a newer videocard with a DVI output. It's for my new desktop PC, I have a Sony HDTV model# KD-30XS955, and I'd really like to use it as my monitor. A couple of questions though...First, if I get a DVI to HDMI cable and hookup the DVI output to the TV's HDMI input, will there be any signal loss? Also, will my TV be able to handle the videocard's refesh rates? Lastly, can anyone recommend a low cost videocard that offers DVI output? I don't do gaming, I simply want it for internet surfing, but I also do some multimedia processing. I just bought the PC from HP (Pavilion Slimline s7700e). It comes with an integrated NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE, but it only offers VGA output. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

P.S....Do component to VGA cables really work? I've been told that such a cable doesn't carry the sync signal from the VGA output to the TV, and as a result you either can't see any picture, or the refresh rate won't work right...Any thoughts? Thanks.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Many cards with DVI outputs can be set up for 1080i or 720p (60 Hz) output, which is TV-friendly. In fact, my VGA-only ATi card will do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks