can a U.S. Xbox play any other region dvds besides 1?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Delaney, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Jason Delaney

Just wondering if there's a way to get the xbox to play other region dvds since basically it's like a dvd rom drive on a PC and they can be made to run other regions.
    Any one have any info on if its possible?

2. Joe michaels

Joe michaels Second Unit

You would probably need some type of Mod chip. I do know that if you use/buy a different region XBOX remote, the XBOX will be stuck playing that region.
    Unfortunately even if you had the mod chip you would need the remotes for each region.

3. Joe michaels

Joe michaels Second Unit

4. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I think that whatever DVD kit you install on the X-Box first is the region that will play on the unit, so if you get an American X-Box and instal a Region 2 DVD Kit, it will ONLY play R2 DVDs.

5. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

There is supposedly a DVDRegionX product coming out, similar to what exists for the PS2. I believe this is a 'boot disk' type option - put in DVDRegionX, select region, eject disk, put in DVD from other region and then you're done.
    It is listed on www.amazon.co.uk with a date of 8/2/2002.

6. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Could they create an X-Box DVD kit with Region 0 or would there be a technical block against it?

7. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

The RegionX product has been delayed multiple times, and on the Datel site, one of the moderators made it sound like it won't see the light of day for a loooooong time, if at all. Mod chips exist for DVD region resets, but at last check no one has made it region free (http://www.xbox-scene.com/modchips.php). I don't follow it too closely, so I may be out out the loop.
    -Dave

8. Jason Delaney

So wheres the best place to order a region 2 xbox dvd kit from?
    I have a region one player, so i figure this will be a cheap way for me to watch some region 2 dvds without having to shell out for a region free player.

Thanks to all for the info as well.

9. Leo

Leo Second Unit

You can find the Japanese XBox DVD kit here: The Rage

10. Jason Delaney

Ok so a few questions now,
    First, the japan dvd playback kit is considered region 2 and will work on my US system to make it a region 2 player?

Also,Is this store reliable? have any of you ordered from there before?

11. Leo

Leo Second Unit

Yes, I have ordered several things from them in the past (currently awaiting Super Mario Sunshine) without disappointment. The remote from Japan will make your US Xbox play Region 2 DVD's (you can still only play US games). There are mod chips now that allow to you even play Mame on your Xbox making it a very nice toy.

12. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Jason, have you put a R1 dongle in your Xbox yet? The R2 dongle will only work if it's the first one put in your machine. And once you do, you won't be able to go back to r1 without a modchip.

-Dave

13. Jason Delaney

No i never got around to gettig the dvd kit,
    so i should be good to go for region 2 once i place an order for a japanese one.
    Great since you order from them and like their service i will be ordering the kit from them.
    now just to order some region 2 family guy and other cool dvds they will never get around to releasing in the U.S.