Can a Telephone damage a Monitor?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Cameron Seaman, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Cameron Seaman

Cameron Seaman Supporting Actor

I just answered my phone that sits next to my monitor. When I raised it to my ear, I crossed the front of the screen. To my surprise (I havent noticed this till now), the phone created an distorting effect similar to that of waving a magnet over a TV or computer monitor!
    I immediately degaussed and now have the phone a little farther away.
    Is this a common problem? If so, can I buy a "shielded" phone? [​IMG]

2. Jun-Dai Bates

Jun-Dai Bates Stunt Coordinator

some monitors are more shielded than others. If I put a phone near my friend's monitor, an enormous bruise-colored swelling appears, taking over about 1/4 of the screen. With my monitor, it only has a small effect. In any case, unless there is good reason to have a phone right next to the computer, why not move it?

though I doubt that it will be likely to have any long-term effects as long as your monitor is somewhat shielded, and we're talking years, not decades.

3. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

while not entirely the same situation, when ever I use my Cell Phone while at the computer, I get some really nasty feedback coming out of my PC speakers.
    ugh, damn phones and their ability to mess up my expensive electronic equipment! [​IMG]

4. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

It is waving a magnet in front of it. There's a magnet in the speaker for the phone. I wouldn't worry about it...

Andy: Let me guess? A Nextel? They interfere with everything!

5. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

Bill,

actually it's a Nokia 5165. My friends Nokia 3360 does the same thing though. Maybe all Nokia phones do this?

6. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

When the IT guys at work are working on my computer their cell phones cause the monitor to "jiggle" when they're talking on them. Do they create some kind of electro-magnetic disturbance? What's the deal? (Can you tell I don't have a cell phone?)

7. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

The distortion the phone causes is due to the fact that phone has a magnet to drive the speaker. Heck your computer speakers would do the same thing if they were not shielded.

KyleS