can a Surge Master II run my gear?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Michaw, Dec 20, 2001.

1. Rob Michaw

Rob Michaw Stunt Coordinator

My sources are:

Toshiba 42H81

Integra 7.1

PSB Image 4Ts (front...connected via bi-wired Straightwire Sextet)

PSB Image 8C (center)

PSB Image 1B (rear)

JVC XV-D721BK Progressive DVD (connected through Mogami component)

NAD 723 CDP (connected using Tara Labs Prism 55s)

JVC S-VHS ET (connected manufacturers S-cable)

I was running Monster HTS1000, but I didn't notice any improvements, and I think I noticed some clipping since it was plugged in.

Will the Surge Master II be fine having all my gear plugged into it? Can I plug my receiver into it?

I talked to the store where I got the HTS1000 and I mentioned the clipping to them. They said to plug the receiver directly into the wall. So why have the HTS1000 if I would not get surge protection or line conditioning?

Thanks.

2. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

Rob,

I have a two dedicated 20 circuits. One has the SurgeMaster II with the following equipment on it.

RPTV

Sat Receiver

Receiver

4 subs

DVD player

vcr

CD player

My other circuit is going to be dedicated to a 5 channel amp and I'll probably use something like the PS Audio Ultimate Outlet so I don't choke the power.

I haven't noticed any difference in sound, but who knows. I'm running about 1700 watts of equipment through the SurgeMaster II and all is well. I wouldn't use it to plug a big power amp into, because it will really choke the power, but my receiver works fine.

3. Rob Michaw

Legairre wrote:

4. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Rob, you've got several things going here that may be exclusive.

I use the Belkin Synapse Surgemaster II and regard it as no more than a surge protector. I plug my Yamaha 100wpc rcvr, TV and all the other usual hometheater devices into it. It's on a 20amp circuit (std in my house) that also powers my SUB in another duplex outlet (on its own surge protector) and about 5-6 incandescent light bulbs in the living room and a bedroom, nothing else.

The Surgemaster incidentally gives some noise filtering, to wit: filters EMI/RFI noise up to 60 dB.

I regard the Monster 1000 as equivalent. Last week, the surge protector of choice around here was the Tripp-Lite 6 (there is a model that also passes your cablevision RG6 cable in/out).

These surge protectors ARE NOT holy grail line conditioners like Richard Gray or VanEvers that go to $500-$800.

Your Integra amp seems like quite a beast, and it's the first I've seen talked about here in the forum. I am not sure why you experience clipping, but I can't figure that the surge protector is limiting anthing to be a causitive. I don't "think" it's a high current amp. For these, some use Monster5000, especially with separate power amps, like Marantz 500/700s, because the Monster 5000 has an outlet that delays power-on so the amperage doesn't flow to all the devices at once.

You have a real nice setup, and I wonder why you need to change anything, unless this clipping is recent and you're trying to find a quick fix.

bill

5. Legairre

Rob,
    I have a Denon 3300 receiver and I'm sure it doesn't have "high current" amps. check out this link for a definition of "high current".
    http://www.audiosurvey.com/tips/specs.html#current
    Also, output transistors are said to be a major part in determining current flow. Some receivers use only a single pair per channel, but some stand alone amplifiers use as many as 20 high current devices.
    The SMII has a 15 amp built in circuit breaker. If your equipment ever tries to draw more than 15 amps(1800 watts) the circuit breaker will trip and shut down your system.
    The chance of you ever hitting the max watts on all the equipment on the SMII at the same time is very unlikely.
    This doeasn't mean the SMII won't choke your system of power. Think of it like trying to drink from those thin straws they give you in bars with drinks. No matter how much you try, you can only get so much through that straw.
    I spent a lot of time trying to see if I could tell any difference in my system's sound or picture. And I can't tell the difference before or after the SMII. Now if I plug the power amp into it. I bet I'd be able to tell a difference. That's why I want a PS Audio device on my other dedicated circuit all by it's self.

6. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

Rob,

I think you are fine plugging all into the Monster but just add up all the amperage ratings on the back of your gear to be sure and add about three amps to the total to cover peaks. Make sure that does not exceed the maximum of the Monster.

You won't always 'hear' an improvement with that sort of thing, depending on the amount of line hash you have to deal with but you should hear a more consistent sound.

7. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Legairre refers to a 15amp circuit breaker. Are we talking about the same SurgeMaster II? I see no reference to this here On the website
    sorry if things are getting sidetracked...

8. Legairre

9. Rob Michaw

Bill -
    until recently, I had running everything on a $5 power bar. Once I got the HDTV, I figured it was time that I run this equipment off something other than the $5 piece.
    I got the Monster HTS1000. I hoped it would have made an audible difference (or visual), but I had not noticed it. I was planning on keeping it anyway, however, I did notice minimal clipping on two different occassions. I had never heard this before being on the Monster.
    That got me thinking I could go to a strict surge protector (giving me the protection) without having any line conditioning, thereby avoiding the clipping. After talking to another sales guy at my store, he said the Monster would probably limit the power being sent to my receiver...and he suggested I plug it straight into the wall, because it may have been causing clipping.
    Does all this make sense? [​IMG]
    Thanks.

10. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Rob, I've never experienced clipping, so I don't know about chasing the problem down. But your logic can't be faulted for suspecting the new Monster1000 since the problem seems to have arisen after you switched to it.

Have you changed any other setups or calibrations in the meantime? Are you playing DVDs louder than before since you got the HDTV? Have you used the AVIA disc to recalibrate reference sound levels as well as your monitor display?Sorry for your bummer, esp. paying that price for the Monster.

Plugging the amp into the wall outlet seems to defeat the whole point, doesn't it? However, there are some amp makers who suggest this in any case, one being for the Outlaw 750, according to Scott of Outlaw. If you cant return/exchange the Monster, perhaps you cud plug yr amp into wall for a week of playing, then back into the strip to verify the source of yr problem.

What I first responded to was that a surge protector cant be expected to IMPROVE or BOOST sound and video quality; more as Marc H notes, to stabilize the power.