Can a subwoofer damage other speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Bone, Feb 18, 2003.

1. Chris Bone

Chris Bone Agent

Can a subwoofer damage other speakers?
    In a previous post I mentioned placing two SVS B4-Plus subs on either side of a floor standing center channel (ex.VMPS RM40). Can the close proximity of two monster subs like the B4-Plus cause any damage to the center or mains over a period of time? Is it better to have the drivers face the front of the theater and the back wall as opposed to facing the center speaker and the left and right?

Chris

2. Adam.Gonsman

Adam.Gonsman Stunt Coordinator

Chris,
    I have a couple thoughts.

First, is there some sort of room constraint the keeps you from putting the subs somewhere else? You would probably get more room filling bass if the two subs were spread out more evenly in the room.

That said, I'll address your actual question. I wouldn't worry too much about your speaker. It's cabinet is probably made from MDF (or other wood products)which is excellent at neutralizing vibrations. That's why most speaker cabinets are made from it. That and it's cheap. [​IMG]

I would be more concerned about having those kinds of shockwaves right under a tv (rp, tube or flat panel). Electronics with all those fine little solder connections and chips don't like massive vibration. Of course if you're front projection and you just have a screen up there, this isn't a concern.