What's new

can a sub hose up your receiver? (1 Viewer)

erik bush

Agent
so i got up this morning and decided to rebalance my speakers. i'm having guests over this afternoon. well. the left channel has NO sound coming out of it (onkyo 575x reciever, infinity speakers). after i get done freaking i get out my spare speakers and determine it's the receiver. then i notice that the left channel binding posts look a bit odd, so i try the banana plugs and it works!!! so i'm balancing the speakers. and it stops working again (gah!). so i decide okay this is stupid, and start looking for my receipt for it (bought it at xmas). i'm upstairs and i hear a noise like a grass trimmer starting up and i come downstairs and it's my sub (jbl 12"). i pull the plug on it, unhook the ins from the reciever, plug it back in and turn it on and it pops loudly and spews nasty noises. so i unhook it completely and turn on my reciever, and the left channel is working again!! (btw the B speaker left channel ALWAYS worked). i've been running various material through it for an hour now, with no drop outs on the left channel. so i'm thinking, could the sub have caused all this? it was working earlier when i was balancing the channels... but i dunno.
anyone care to take a stab?
~erik
------------------
my dvd list
"what, were they psychos?" "did they look like psychos? is that what they looked like? they were vampires. psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, i don't give a *#@% how crazy they are."

erik bush

Agent
spoke too soon. left channel is out again. guess i'm gonna buy a new sub and receiver today hehe.
~erik
------------------
my dvd list
"what, were they psychos?" "did they look like psychos? is that what they looked like? they were vampires. psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, i don't give a *#@% how crazy they are."

anthony_b

Screenwriter
Take a look at audioreview.com under the jbl pb12 reviews. Some people have had this sub blow on them and make similar sounds to the one you are mentioning. I went with a velodyne because I was scared that might happen to my 575x.

erik bush

Agent
i'm using the line lvls into the sub. the binding post didn't look like it was very secure (kinda tilted to the side, which is what made me try the banana plugs in the first place). the left front channle is completely dead now, and the receiver kicks into stereo mode when i put a dvd in (i have to manually switch it back to 5.1).
crazy eh?
~erik
------------------
my dvd list

erik bush

Agent
well. the sub is hosed for sure. it's dead. the receiver has some kinda malfunction. i guess what caused it at this point is moot. hehe. thanks for the replies guys. i'm gonna dig out the receipt for the receiver and send it off to get repaired and in the meantime get myself a 595 and probably a velodyne sub!! (good excuse to upgrade eh?).
thanks guys,
~erik
------------------
my dvd list

erik bush

Agent
i thought about that. but the reciever was off when the sub went off the deep end. it's doing the same thing that alot of ppl are complaining about on audioreview.com. they might be totally unrelated, but who knows. my onkyo dvd player has been acting a bit strange too (not reading discs until i open/close the tray a few times). hehe. it's HT armageddon!!
------------------
my dvd list

erik bush

Agent
hehe. i'll live. luckily i have great credit and the means to pay it off quickly. i'm headed off to check out the denon avr1802 receiver. and a velodyne sub. and maybe a dvd player. the upgrade bug has bitten me again. arrrrrgh!
~erik
------------------
my dvd list

anthony_b

Screenwriter
I was debating between the jbl pb12 and the velo ct 100, I decided on the velodyne because I was afraid of having to return a sub, plus I felt the velodyne was a better sub. It pounds hard !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks