What's new

Can a sub be placed in a closed cabinet? (1 Viewer)

Jake T

Stunt Coordinator
Would it be possible to place a subwoofer in a closed (solid) cabinet with no speaker mesh?
Thanks
------------------
Jake T
--"The Things You Do In Life Echo An Eternity"
----Russel Crowe, Gladiator

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
You can try it, but I think you'll find that it will cause some really distracting vibrations being inside a cabinet.
I'd wager that the cabinet you're planning on using is built nothing like a sub enclosure.....if that's the case, it's not going to be able to stand up to the constant air pressure pushing on it without rattling and vibrating.
If you have the cabinet, give it a try and see what happens. It's not going to hurt anything but your sound.

Mike Knapp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Im not sure what Parker is referring to. The only time I have put a sub in a closet was when I was done using it. :)
I have built a wall around my sub using grille cloth and so it is hidden but as far as the sub knows, there is no wall there. The sub is next to the TV on the right behind the cloth wall in the image.
GreatWall3.jpg

I have also discussed taking a closet and making it into a subwoofer using the closet itself as the actual cabinet.
I would never put a speaker cabinet of any kind in a closet or even in an entertainment system cabinet. Placing any speaker in an enclosed space will screw with it. It is also a bad idea to have them flush with a RPTV on any plane and the center sitting atop the TV and behind the front edge of the TV is a no-no as well.
Search the archives I think there is a post there dealing with speaker placement and a good soundfield.
Mike
[Edited last by Mike Knapp on September 07, 2001 at 05:48 AM]

Jake T

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for your help guys.
------------------
Jake T
--"The Things You Do In Life Echo An Eternity"
----Russel Crowe, Gladiator

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks