Can a sub amp{samson} lower your sub HZ ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Tompkins, Feb 23, 2002.

1. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

First my equipment is 2 svs 20-39 subs and room is 15X30X8 and I play at close to reference levels. Previously I have been using many various amps to drive the subs the most powerful being 2 channels of a parasound 2205 {220 watts@ 8 ohms}.

I just received a Sampson S1000 which is 545 watts @ 4 ohms. The obvious differences are tighter control of the woofers as music notes seem to end quicker. Headroom has increased, I picked up a couple of db there. Also the bass just seems like it has more impact.

It might just be my imagination but it really seems as though The subs are going lower in hz region then before, is this possible ? the 20-39 SVS subs rated down to around 18 hz I believe. But since adding the more powerful samson the bass hits WAY down deep. It just doesn't make sense that the subs would actually go LOWER does it ? thanks

2. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Sure, that could be the case. The lower you go in bass, the more power you need to reproduce it correctly. If the previous amps weren't up to the task in terms of capacitor size, power supply, etc, then you would definitely notice a difference.