Can a Splitter be used for Digital Audio?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joseph Dubin, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Joseph Dubin

Joseph Dubin Auditioning

My digital cable box has just one digital (coaxial) output. When connecting a splitter to feed the 5.1 signal to both my HT systems audio was fine on one receiver but did not come through on the other (even though it indicated receiving a digital signal). When the coaxial was connected directly to the receiver audio was OK so it was not due to the 75 ohm cables I used.

Is there a proper way to split a 5.1 signal from a coaxial output? Unfortunately, the only digital splitters available are optical (and my brother encountered a distorted signal on one source when using an optical splitter for audio recording).

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

No, you can't do it. What you've seen is a switchbox. The decoded 5.1 channels are only fed out of the analog outputs

3. Joseph Dubin

Joseph Dubin Auditioning

Jeff, thanks for the quick feedback.

I have been looking for a switchbox but have only come across a/v ones for stereo or optical cable. If I used a switchbox and only connect the 75 ohm audio cable to the left channel input/outputs, would this do the trick?

4. TimTurtino

TimTurtino Stunt Coordinator

In most cases, it'd work fine. Switchboxes usually make a pretty good mechanical condition, and are also usually shielded.

Me

5. John_E

John_E Stunt Coordinator

Joseph,

I was thinking about doing the same thing. I am going to put a 2nd receiver in my garage this spring, and I'd love to have the commercial-free digital music out there. What splitter/switch were you looking at? I would guess that you would use the video (yellow) port from the switch box for the digital audio....I'm not sure.

Let me know if you find something that works!!

Thanks!

6. Joseph Dubin

Joseph Dubin Auditioning

Thanks Tim and John for getting back to me.

I took Jeff's advice and purchased a standard push-button a/b switch from Radio Shack which did the trick. While used for video the switch works fine sending a single 5.1 signal to two a/v receivers using 75-ohm coaxial cable.

Connect the cable from the cable box digital audio output to the output jack on the switch (making this an input instead). Then connect a cable to each input jack on the switch (now an output) to the digital input jack on each receiver. Just remember to set the switch to the receiver you want to listen to (they can't be used at the same time since the signal is being directed to a single source instead of being split).

Your 75-ohm coaxial cables will likely have standard F-Plugs (video) on each end so also purchase three F-Plug to RCA-Plug (phono) converters (very inexpensive) to put on the ends connected to the receivers and cable box.

If you want to have the video sent to two rooms from one cable box just be sure to get a directional splitter to compensate for the 3.5 db loss.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it works out.