can a speaker grill be used over a port hole?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Meissner, Apr 23, 2002.

1. Joe Meissner

Joe Meissner Stunt Coordinator

I am building a sub and want to know if a grill should (could) be used over the port hole.? i want the port to be on the front baffle above the driver. I could flip that but i dont want this thing to be top heavy with little kids.
    my problem is a 3 year old daughter that loves to put toys any place she can find. (like the vcr)boy did that eat some tapes before i could figure it out. [​IMG] plus i have a 9 month old that will soon be at that stage. plus she is starting to pull her self up on everything in the house.
    will doing this hurt the bass output? i just never see anyone doing this. thats why i am asking
    Thanks

2. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

SVS does it so I assume that it shouldn't hurt at all (of course you can make the port down firing and save a few bucks). The safest speaker for most kids is the sub (it's the only speaker I can think of that can't really fall on a child, at least none that I've seen; the sub safe from the kid... that's another story watch out for them poking it with objects pens, pencils, etc).

In another post (you stated about 3+ cubic feet, a driver than will most likely weigh more than 10 lbs, and you did state that you intend to use braces... I think you'll be lucky to keep the sub under 70 lbs and if you're kid can turn this over trust me she shouldn't be hurt by it) I think it was you that most of us were trying help design a sub trust me I seriously doubt that you're kid will get hurt by this sub unless you build it into the form of a slender tower with a top mounted woofer.

3. Kerry Hackney

Kerry Hackney Stunt Coordinator

SVS may have taken the loading into account. I have read articles that claim anything that obstructs the port loads it and changes the tuning. If you use a mesh grill the more open the better. I would not use a fine mesh or any type of cloth to cover a port... YMMV

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

You can lose up to 1dB of output with something porous that covers the port (but in the overall scheme of things, a little less output outweighs the possibility of getting stuff falling inside the enclosure). [​IMG]

5. Kerry Hackney

Kerry Hackney Stunt Coordinator

P@, you mean like a cat or something??? [​IMG]

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

It makes feeding the cat much easier, just pour in the Kibbles-n-Bits down the port.

7. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Pat's cats only sit on the drivers! [​IMG]

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

There's a first time for everything...but I doubt the cat can fit through a 4" wide flared port...

9. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Actually, top mounted ports can be used to feed your woofers!

10. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Try the blowing air method. When I got my grill for my sub I wondered the same thing. I blew air into my hand to test, then I tried blowing air through the grill and into my hand on the other side of the grill. I couldn't feel much difference and I haven't noticed any different sound with my grill on or off. I'm using the mesh 8" style grill from PE.

11. Joe Meissner

Joe Meissner Stunt Coordinator

If she did get hurt maybe she'll learn not to mess with daddy's stuff.[​IMG]
    thanks guys