What's new

Can a round 18" disk get HDTV? (1 Viewer)

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
Over and over I read that you need a multi-satellite elliptical dish to get HDTV from DirecTV. However, I assume this requirement is for getting BOTH HDTV and regular service, as they come from two different satellites.

Suppose I want ONLY HDTV. Can I do it with a single, round dish, pointed only to the HDTV satellite?

My thinking is that instead of installing a multi-satellite dish now, in case I want HDTV later, it may be much cheaper to put in a round disk now (to take advantage of the cheap new-installation bargains), and add a second dish later should I ever want HDTV.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
The HD channels on DirecTV are not all on the same satellite, and they move from one to another from time to time.

When you buy your system tell them you want the "para todos" package. This is the spanish-language channel package and requires the oval dish. Once installation is done you can cancel the Spanish package if desired. To get all the HD channels you'll also have to add the "Sat-C kit" but they'll send this to you for around $12.

Hugo

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Marc,
I agree with Steve, but if you still want to point your round dish to another satellite you'll need to select elliptical dish on your directv receiver (even if you dont have it), then select the satellite you want to receive and point your dish at it. If you try to do this you won't get many channels. Sat "B" & sat "C" only have a few channels. Hope that helps.

Hugo

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
it may be much cheaper to put in a round disk now (to take advantage of the cheap new-installation bargains), and add a second dish later should I ever want HDTV.
Right now DirecTV's HD channels are spread across all three of their satellites. That would require three 18" dishes.

-Robert

Mike_Mag

Auditioning
Could someone please tell me what channels are offered by Direct TV in HD, I believ it is only 2..HBO and HDNET. Am I missing something...thanks, Mike.

JonWB

Agent
This is from DirecTV's site:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
HDTV CHANNELS ON THE DIRECTV® SERVICE

HDNet on Channel 199
HDNet is the world's first national all-high-definition television network, broadcasting 16 hours per day — every day. HDNet offers live sports including NHL and MLB games, movies, concerts and much more.

HDNet programming is currently available to all DIRECTV customers with HDTV receiving equipment at no additional monthly programming cost.

HBO® HD on Channel 509
The HBO® HD channel airs continuously and delivers blockbuster movies and original programming from Home Box Office — all in high-definition format.

SHO HDTV on Channel 543
Showtime's East Coast SHO HDTV channel offers SHOWTIME® Originals and theatrical hits around the clock. Showtime's Networks broadcasts in 1080i, the highest resolution format available today.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

I watch only HDNET because I'm too cheap to pay for HBO or Showtime. There is a fair amount of HD content available locally here as well off the antenna.

Jon

Mike_Mag

Auditioning
Thanks Jon, Thats what I thought...I am to cheap for Showtime...Portland, OR also has a good bit of local HD programming available..Thanks again..Mike

BruceSpielbauer

Second Unit
I agree with most of the above replies. The only exception would be a technicality with this information:
>>>When you buy your system tell them you want the "para todos" package. This is the spanish-language channel package and requires the oval dish. Once installation is done you can cancel the Spanish package if desired. To get all the HD channels you'll also have to add the "Sat-C kit" but they'll send this to you for around $12

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks