Can a reciever in 5.1 - 6.1 help warm a very "bright" room

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MattCPT, Jul 3, 2002.

1. MattCPT

MattCPT Stunt Coordinator

I know this may seem like an odd question. I understand that adding rugs, curtains, paintings etc.. will help a "bright" room sound warmer. The problem is that I have already added these things and though better my room still sounds very "bright". I own a 7 year old Pro-logic Yamaha receiver and Definitive Technology BP-30 speakers. I was very happy with my sound until I tiled my house. Now my sound is very bright and very fatiguing. I have spoken to a few "experts" at respected audio stores and I have been told by a couple that my speakers are known to be "harsh" sounding and outside of major room adaptations (that my wife won't be happy with) I could use 5 or 6 channel stereo, not 2 channel. They told me that if I calibrate a 5.1 or 6.1 receiver so that there isn't any dead spots of sound in my room that my speakers will sound much warmer and won't need to be played as loud to enjoy them. I'm desperately trying to solve my sound issue without buying new speakers or doing anything drastic to my room. I was wondering if this information is correct. I also wonder if using an outside equalizer would help or not. The salesman was pushing the quality of the Denon 3802 over Onkyo and Sony ES (3 or 5 series). I know that is just his opinion, but I have heard that the 3802 is an excellent receiver from others. I did notice that on the back panel there wasn't any pre-outs for the right or left main speakers. The salesman said that you can't add an amp to these channels. I thought people here said that this receiver could be used to power outside amps? Anyway, I just wonder because I'm looking at either the 3802, Sony DA3 or DA5ES, new Outlaw receiver (expected this month?) or Rotel 1050?.
    Thanks

2. MattCPT

I know this may be a difficult answer, but I would really appreciate some input before I buy something for the wrong reason.
    Thanks

3. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

4. MattCPT

I did like the sound before tiling my room. However I think that my speakers are on the bright side to begin with but it didn't matter very much because the carpet helped to keep the sound warm. Now that the room has more "hard" surfaces the speakers brightness is more noticeable. I still wonder if playing music in 5 or 6 channels will help the sound.

5. Dave Herkert

Dave Herkert Agent

I will certainly second the salesman's recommendation on the Denon receivers, especially in light of your current difficulty. The Denons tend to be on the "warm" side - better suited to your acoustically live room. Many on the Klipsch forum use Denon, because they match well with Klipsch. The reason I mention Klipsch is that they will expose "bright" amps big time - of which the Yamahas are sometimes described in that category.

Is there any chance you could buy a Denon and return it if you don't like the results?? A good audio dealer will generally let you do this. It would be worth a try. I don't expect it to be the "cure all", but I think it's worth a try.

If the Denon is bright to you, you may end up replacing the speakers, and trying something more agreeable to the room. There is no substitute for an acoustically proper room, but if that's not possible, you just do the best you can with what you have to work with.

As for the 5 to 6 channel stereo, that's something you should try, but I can't say how this will work out.

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

If I understand your post correctly, you currently have a 2 speaker setup. My take on your situation is that you're wrestling with several issues and thoughts. It may help to stand back a moment and consider these, especially when "experts" at respected audio stores offer information.
    In its simplest form, which is to not go beyond your current 2 speaker setup, you've been offered suggestions that changing your receiver to perhaps a Denon will offer relief from the 'brightness' you are now experiencing. Now the 3802 is a fine receiver and offers capabilities and features not available with your present one. Should you decide to move into 5.1 or whatever, it, as well as many other good choices, will be equal to the task. But to think that any receiver, has the ability to soften or tone down the brightness when you consider the monumental change you made in your room's acoustics after tiling (ceramic I take it) is rubbish. Also the advice you were given

7. MattCPT

Thank you Chu. That was a very informative reply. I'm looking into the sites that you gave me, and I'm planning on making some changes to my room.

8. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

patience and the knowledge that you will be successful with perseverence should be your guide. Often you can involve your significant other in the area of room treatments (wall hangings, bookcases, plants, carpeting) and find that you've accomplished much. kind of like, 'honey, i want to improve the sound by improving the decor. i think we need two area rugs, but i need your help in picking out something tasteful' you know the rest. having your partner assist this way will also get them involved in a positive way with your audio interests and you may find that you won't have to sneak in that component. this is not so bad is it [​IMG]?

9. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Thank you, Chu Gai, for this post!

I just went from wall-to-wall carpeting to hardwood flooring and have been wondering about this very topic.

Jan