Can a receiver output one sound while playing another?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by EricDeB, Dec 13, 2005.

1. EricDeB

EricDeB Stunt Coordinator

Alright so I'll tell you guys my ultimate goal here:
    To be able to play music through my 5.1 system from my PC, while playing video game sounds through my tv speakers. I would also sometimes like the video game music/sounds on the 5.1.

I have multiple systems, so it would be a pain to connect and disconnet, is there a way I can do this through my receiver? I have a Panasonic SA-XR50 if that helps.

Eric

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Does the game console have a digital audio output? If so, send that to the receiver, and regular L/R audio jacks to the TV.

If the console has only the L/R outs, get a pair of RCA splitters, and send one side to the receiver, the other to the TV.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

We sued to do something like that when we had the Yamaha RX-V870 as the center - it has a manual switch "record out"; select the input to go to the TV with the Record Out, and select the input to go to the 5.1 using the regular input select. You'd have to use the TV's volume to control the game sound, though.

Since then, we've gone to a "stacked" system - 5.1 is driven by the DSP-A1; computer is driven by the 870, with a stereo pair for the 870, and a full 5.1 on the A1, and a digital interconnect from the computer's sound card to the A1, just for those special games.

It's a mess of cables, but it sounds good.

Leo Kerr

4. EricDeB

Alright well turns out my receiver will only output what is being played on the 5.1. It won't output one source while playing another. Unless any one has any ideas, I think I'm going to go with the splitting method. I'm having trouble finding these RCA splitters. I'm a little confused, do I need to split the left and right side seperately? What is RCA verse stereo audio? Is there anyway to go from one male to two male with stereo audio?

Thanks

5. EricDeB

Do I have to get a piggyback audio cable?