What's new

Can a rabbit and a dog co-exist ? (1 Viewer)

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
We currently have a 2 yr old male rabbit (ok - he used to be male...) Kind of a psycho bunny, as we occasionally let him out of his cage and he runs like a maniac through the family room. Not the most affectionate varmint, but he runs to my daughter for treats which is pretty endearing.

Now my daughter wants a dog and is leaning towards a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. Will this make the rabbit totally lose it's mind ? I'm hoping to find a "calm dog", though a spaniel was never my first choice... we just need a small, low maintenance dog that's affectionate. Due to my kind nature towards animals, I really don't want to have to force the rabbit to live in it's cage the rest of it's life (we let it run free a couple hours a day).

Looking for comments...
Thanks !

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Dogs can exist quite happily with rabbits but it depends very much on the dog itself. That the rabbit was there first should help, I would have thought. I used to know a family where they had a cat, dog and rabbit and all three would lie out in the sun next to each other.

That said, many dogs will simply see a rabbit as a source of food. I don't know much at all about dogs to say what kind of breed would be best, but anything that is classed a terrier would probably be after that rabbit like a shot.

I would actually put that as a higher priority than getting a dog, since you already have the bunny. Caging it permanently will make the rabbit distressed, bored and is likely to shorten it's life. It's a ridculously cruel way to keep an animal. Rabbits need space to run around and if that can't be provided then a rabbit shouldn't be bought, period. If that means no dog for a few years then so be it.

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
Yep! Some dogs are tolerant of them but if you get the dog when it's a puppy then it will learn to see the rabbit as another family member. I have 3 rabbits and a couple dogs and never any problems.

Jeff

StephenA

Screenwriter
A pug is a very calm breed of dog, and very affectionate and I reccomend them if you don't mind the flat face. I've had 6 in all, and find them to be great dogs. I've had rabbits with them and they got along with the rabbits and played with them.

Breeds that have histories with hunting and retrieving or fighting are the ones that you have to watch out for the most, because they are are the ones that will most likely go after the rabbit. All dogs can be trained to accept the rabbit, especially if they are brought up with it when they are young. They could very well even accept it as one of the pack. Just keep an eye on them if you do decide to get a dog.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter

Thanks for the feedback. Rob - you are correct. If this ends up falling into place and the animals don't get along, I'll have to tag-team them running about the house. 2 hrs for the bunny, 2 hrs for the dog. Then it's back in the cage for all 3 of ya'!! (rabbit, dog and daughter)

(Just kidding....)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't get one of the sporting breeds as mentioned. My pup has no idea what a rabbit is but damnit she wants to catch one every time she sees one.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Great links Matt, and a must-read for anyone contemplating rabbit ownership. Fortunately my daughter has been "Molly's" caretaker for 2 years and doing wonderfully. That bunny gets treated better than I do.....

I didn't realize I made my post on Easter, which (as the websites point out) is NOT a good time to make a decision on acquiring a rabbit. If you're interested in a rabbit, please check the above sights.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
At least your daughter likes cheap dogs. ;) I was looking at the same breed, they seem like great dogs. I wouldn't feel safe with any dog around a rabbit since they move too unpredictably.

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
Only thing I would say is stay away form the terriers and sight hounds. Terriers, after all, were bred by the English (all but 2 breeds of Terrier are genetically English/Scottish/Welsh/Irish) to hunt rats, rabbits, etc.

Sight hounds, like the Irish Wolfhound, Greyhound, or Whippet are hard wired to chase anything that is small, furry, and moves. Just try catching a Greyhound that has seen a squirrel ;)

That being said, must dogs will readily take to having smaller pets as part of their pack, especially if raised with the other pet.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Youre welcome Kirk. :)

I am a rabbit lover and am a member of House Rabbit Society. I have 2 rabbits myself I am currently trying to bond. One is a female Silver and a male white New Zeland.

To everyone:
I HIGHLY recommend reading the above links before getting a rabbit. Never go to a breeder and always have them fixed.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member

We got our Scotties because after a year they would not stop chasing their 2 cats. They had to divide the house and they would still find ways to chase them.I have the same stubborn qualities so I can understand their qualities and love them dearly.
Actually one of them could get along but on the whole ....they are like the terminator

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor
I wouldn't get a herding dog either, as the rabbit will probably lose its mind... The dog would enjoy the challenge though....

The big working farm dogs might not be a bad choice as many of them were bred to leave the farm/house animals alone while protecting them from predators...

As stated, Terriers are a bad idea as are sight hounds and many of the sporting breeds...

Check out the AKC breed standard for any dog you think about getting...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks