What's new

Can a mono mix be altered? (1 Viewer)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I was watching Roots (episode 3) and noticed the weirdest thing. When the film opens, the music sounds as if someone turns it down. Briefly the sound effects from the horses sounds was louder than the music, followed by the music getting louder,and then soft again. Upon looking at my vhs copy, this does not occur. The Spanish track includes a narrator during this section of the film in the exact same spots that the music get soft. Could this be in error in the authoring of the 1.0 mono, or is that even possible since it is just one track? Help!

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
While the sound may be a single track, audio usually originates as three different stems (dialogue, music, and effects). they can alter the comparative volumes of each stem when creating a mono track.

DJ

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
It sounds as if there may have been a vocal listing of the stars (as in the Spanish track) and maybe the dialogue was to be placed in those moments that are quieter.....however, I think this may have been a mistake..if you listen to the audio commentary with John Amos, he starts speaking at exactly the same spots that the sound is lowered. Maybe I should contact Warner Bros. and let them know (for future pressings.)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know of a number where I can contact Warner Bros. and let them know about this? Thanks.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
After listening to this again, I am convinced that there waas an error during the transfer process. It must have gone unnoticed. I hope Warner Bros. can fix this in future pressings. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks