Can a loosely attached power cord cause random stat

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by PaulDA, Apr 24, 2004.

1. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    Last night, I was giving my new receiver and speaker pair a final listening session before packing it up for our move. For about a week or so, I'd noticed subtle, random noise, usually coming from playback of PVR source from a weak signal broadcast.

Last night, for the first time, while playing a cd (through DVD player as transport over TOSlink), I got a burst of static. I stopped the disc, turned the receiver off, checked the speaker connections (but not the power cord), fired everything up again, and for the next hour, everything was fine. Same thing this morning for about an hour. As I was disconnecting the cables and interconnects, the power cord popped off the back of the receiver by itself. It's a two prong, 16ga removeable cord. My sub has an 18ga cord that is otherwise identical in shape. I plugged it into the receiver (but did not turn it on) and found it fit more snuggly. It also required a bit more effort to disconnect from the receiver. As the noise/static is more or less random, and I have to pack everything up today, should I go back to my dealer with this or can I just chalk it up to the loose cord (which I'll replace when we finish the move)? The receiver is under warranty for three more years (just got it last month) so I can get it serviced later if I have to. I'm a little gunshy, though, as before I got the Integra, I bought an Arcam AVR200 which was defective. I replaced it with a second unit, also defective, so I went with my second choice, the Integra. I had no static or blown fuse problems with my Denon AVR1600 using the same outlet, power bar, speaker wire, interconnects etc.

Anyway, if anyone with electrical experience tells me that the loose power cord is the likely culprit, I'll just replace it later. I'd appreciate some peace of mind on this. Thanks.

2. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    Would it be alright to put a three prong power cord with the same shape connector into the two prong receptacle in the receiver? I can't see there being a problem if the ground wire is inactive but I thought I'd ask. I'd try it right now, as I've found a spare power cord from an old computer monitor, but the receiver is packed for moving.

3. MarcUR

MarcUR Extra

i can't help you with your problem, but i am curious as to the defects with the arcam AVR200. What problem did you have with it?

4. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    With the first one, after I had connected everything (it was probably the 30th or so time I've hooked up my own or other people's equipment, with no problems until then) I plugged in the power cord, pressed on, heard a "pop" the display blinked out. I brought it back, they opened it up and found a blown fuse. While I was having dinner at the restaurant next door (it was my wife's birthday and we went to eat next to my audio shop, not her chosen restaurant, so she was less than thrilled), they replaced the fuse several times and each one blew.

A week later, the replacement unit arrived. I plugged it in without connecting anything, and everything seemed fine. I attached all the interconnects and speaker wires, the receiver went into "protect" mode. I disconnected the speakers, re-connected them one at time (powering up between each connection). With the third speaker, the fuse blew (by now I knew what that sounded/looked like) and I brought it back. My shop was very understanding (even lent me an Arcam A65 for the week while awaiting my replacement). The fault was not theirs. Arcam's US distributor was only willing to give me a third unit, no discount, no upgrade. I decided twice was enough, so I went with my original first choice (until my audio shop had made me listen to the Arcam), the Integra.

Please note, I don't want to smear Arcam as a manufacturer. They have a good reputation and I did like its sound best. The A65 was great and if I were putting together a two-channel system (which I may yet do someday) I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. I suspect my two units were from a bad batch at the factory and I was unlucky (this is what the tech guy at Arcam US thought as well; the sales guy at Arcam US suggested that I had made "mistakes" or my speakers were incompatible).

However, that recent experience with faulty equipment has me a bit paranoid when it comes to noises emanating from my system. I really hope the fix is as simple as swapping power cords, or I will start becoming superstitious and feel cursed.[​IMG]

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I'd think the loose power cord was probably the culprit and if it doesn't fit right for whatever reason, I'd simply look to get another one of the same gauge Paul. BTW, take 'the old lady' out to dinner again and apologize for the last one [​IMG]

6. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul

Already done. (and all is now well)

Do you know where I can find a two pronged IEC cord? Every website I've consulted (about a dozen) all have three pronged cords, no two pronged ones. Does it matter?

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Well if that's to your new receiver, I'd simply contact whomever you bought it from, inform them of the particulars, and request a new one. In the meantime simply use a 3 prong one of the appropriate gauge if that makes matters easier. I really don't know of any decent inexpensive sources out in Canada Paul. Might want to try an ebay search limiting yourself to Canada or maybe some local computer places.

8. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    Thanks for the info. If the three prong cable I have is of the same gauge, I'll go with that then.