What's new

Can a jazz fan suggest a next album? (1 Viewer)

Steve Elias

Stunt Coordinator
I'll pick up Somethin' Else tomorrow and report back after listening to the latest treasure/aquisitions. I'm sort of glad I've ignored jazz for most of my life as I'm enjoying my first new musical "discovery" in many, many years.

After listening to Kind of Blue three more times, it still trails Brubeck's Take Five album by a hair but the gap is narrowing. And now to give my new Live Brubeck album a listen.

I'm glad most redbook jazz CDs can be found for 10-11 at the local B&M.

Thanks,
Steve

Debbie_L

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Steve,

Welcome to the wonderful world of jazz! You have received some excellent suggestions already. If you end up listening to Weather Report and like you what you hear, then you'd probably also really enjoy the albums Jaco Pastorius of Weather Report put out on his own.

Given that you like Brubeck (also one of my favs), I think you should check out the Ramsey Lewis Trio -- AWESOME! (imho) Check out "The In Crowd" and "Hang on Sloopy" To me, Ramsey Lewis is THE epitome of 60's cool. If the RLT's music doesn't get your toe's tappin' and your feet dancin' then you'd better check your pulse! :D Their version of The Beatle's "Hard Days Night" is irresistible fun.

Good listening to you,

Debbie

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I purchased Kind of Blue,listened to it once, and had a VERY enjoyable experience. After one listen it has yet to dethrone Take Five as my favorite album so far
Check out Miles "Round About Midnight". I wouldn't suggest it's a greater record than "Kind of Blue"... but I like it just a little better! Many similarities to "Blue", though Miles is not yet committed to the simplified, modal thing. Bebop still prevails to some extent, including some outright bop tunes, but for the most part this record is very much of-a-time and kind with "Blue". And once you've heard Miles' impressionistic blowing over "Round Midnight", it'll haunt you forever. "Dear Old Stockholm", "Bye-bye Blackbird" and "Tadd's Delight" are also real favorites of mine.

Steve Elias

Stunt Coordinator
I've added more of your suggestions to my beginner's collection: Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' Else, Dave Brubeck - Jazz Goes to College, and Getz/Gilberto. I'm still figuring out where I stand with Getz/Gilberto, but the other two have been in heavy rotation. Excellent.

The collection so far:
Time Out - Dave Brubeck
Kind of Blue - Miles Davis
Somethin' Else - Cannonball Adderley
Jazz Goes to College - Dave Brubeck

Getz/Gilberto (It's quality is evident, but...)
The Best of Herbie Hancock: The Blue Note Years
When I Look In Your Eyes - Diana Krall (Does this count as jazz?)

Next Up? I'm not sure, but probably Weather Report, Jazz at the Pawnshop, and perhaps Mingus - Ah Um. I plan to investigate all of the suggestions as budget allows.

I get the impression from the welcoming comments that I'm in the process of joining a secret and/or cool club ;) Does this mean I'm no longer allowed to listen to novelty songs from the 1970's? :D

Thanks again!
Steve

John Watson

Screenwriter
Steve, especially not The Village People :)

I keep all my old time rn'r in a room in the back (Just Kidding!)

Tomoko Noguchi

Second Unit
Pretty much what you'll get. The SACD of Charlie Brown Christmas will be out in August, but you can get the regular cd now.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Steve, I have some suggestions formulated... Get something by Paul Desmond the sax player from Brubeck. FUNKY SERENITY by Ramsey Lewis is proably his best thang ever. It's on a small label. Get it before it disapears. Acoustic Sounds has Manfredo Fest's JUNGLE CAT CD for $4.75 . Great album of Brasiian piano jazz! His hybrid SACD JUST JOBIM is mighty nice too. Fantastic price on JUNGLE CAT! If you go Brasilian...WAVE by Antonio Carlos Jobim is great stuff.

If you want to try something newer, try Marcus Miller's M2 ( M Squared ) or Paul Jackson Jr.'s THE POWER OF THE STRING or Stanley Clarke's SCHOOL DAYS or Lee Ritenour's fabulous guitar on FEEL THE NIGHT or John Tropea's NY CATS DIRECT < more guitar or Spyra Gyro's ORIGINAL CINEMA or the Anthony Wilson Trio's OUR GANG or Harvey Mason's FUNK IN A MASON JAR. Jacintha's new album JACINTHA IS MY NAME is enchanting. Will & Rainbow's RAINBOW is awesome but you'll have to get an SACD for it's single-layerness. Phoebe Snow is the vocalist. Doc Powell's 97th & COLUMBUS is some nice guitar and a totally hot sounding hybrid SACD.

For acoustic guitar try Joe Pass' UNFORGETABLE or one of the albums by Los Indios Tabajaras. If you'd like to try the sound of Argentina, try Astor Piazzolla's TANGO HOUR ZERO. He plays bandeleon, small accordian basicaly...? His music goes fromtango to jazz to neoclassical. He's very underappreciated in the U.S. IMO.

Welcum tu Jazzz!:)

Steve Elias

Stunt Coordinator
You all realize that you are competing for the right to spend my money with the groups in the DIY and the Software forums, don't you? :)

Let's see, move Ramsey Lewis closer to the top of the buy list, be sure to get Paul Desmond... At this rate I'll spend more time shopping for discs than actually listening to them!

Thanks everyone!

JasonK

Supporting Actor
Yesterdays New Quintet (YNQ) "Angels Without Edges"
This is a great album. In addition to the CD, there are a few 12" records with unreleased material on them.
Plus, YNQ did a promo relese called "Stevie" that's all Stevie Wonder tunes. It may be released properly this year, but the label it's on (Stones Throw) has said that because of numerous bootleg issues they may can the official release entirely. I hope not, I was anticipating this for a while.

Otis Jackson Jr. (aka Madlib) - who is all of YNQ just recently came out with "Shades of Blue: Madlib Invades Blue Note". Blue Note opened up their vaults to him and he came out with many re-interpretations and covers of their catalog.

I just got the 2x LP yesterday and haven't had a chance to listen to it but I've been a big fan of Madlib, so no worries here. When I get a chance to listen to it properly I'll post some thoughts.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Let me suggest:

Herbie Hancock's Maiden Voyage
Dave Brubeck's Time Further Out

I think both of these fit well with the collection you're building.

Steve, Try Bill Evans on the Verve Classic remasters. Bill has the same Brubeck cool sound on this album and it will not disappoint.
I was surprised how well Evans and Brubeck go together considering that I picked up the Evans cd not knowing what his music was like.
later,
Steve

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
One thing you may want to keep in mind is that depending on where you live, a lot of the most highly regarded accessible jazz albums may actually be available from your local library if you feel inclined to try before you buy.

Regards,

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Wow, that thread is a blast from the past.

If that thread taught me anything, it's that it is hard to recommend music to people. We all come from so many different backgrounds and with different tastes. For instance, I have to stop myself from running around all day, forcing people to listen to Mingus.

That would be a weird crime- Music Rape.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
well mike - at least you got me to pick up "kind of blue"....which i'm ultra-grateful for. :)

Steve Elias

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the additional suggestions. I've been enjoying the albums I've picked up so far and am ready to add a couple more of your suggestions to the collection.

I have been checking with the local library, but budget problems have left them with a very small collection of jazz CDs, non of which are among the suggestions that have been offered so far.

"If that thread taught me anything, it's that it is hard to recommend music to people."
I generally agree, but as I was starting from scratch this thread has been very helpful. Besides, even if I don't like an album, I can always pass it on to someone who will. By the way, Mike, Mingus [Ah Hum] will probably be in the next group of discs I buy; I will hold you specifically responsible for the purchase ;)

Ted, thanks for the thread link!

BTW, Dave Brubeck's Time Out is still my favorite. But I;ve become a big fan of all the recommendations I've purchased so far (with one exception).

Thanks again.
-Steve

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Steve, do you have any specific instruments you're into? Most jazz fans I know got into it because they either played were really into a specific instrument and found musicians who excited them on that instrument.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks