Can a higher power receiver 110X7 Increase your Electric bill?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jesse Sharrow, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

Just curious. Is it gonna draw enough current that if I only use it between 1-3 hours a day, could it raise my electric bill dramatically?

2. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Not enough to worry about.

Cheers,

3. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

Yeah - I went from my DA4ES to a Sherbourn 7/2100 and I think the extra draw was like $5/month.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I haven't noticed any. I'm now running 2 monoblocks in addition to the receiver (which is not working as hard now), and I didn't see any meaningful difference in electrical cost.

5. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

Ok cuz when I upgraded recievers my bill shot up. Must have to do with something else.

6. TimMc

TimMc Stunt Coordinator

Typically HT electronics just won't show that big an impact on the electrical bill unless you switch from rare use to 24x7 [​IMG]

It's awfully darned hard to have a controlled test on this. So many other other things can change (weather, appliance usage) that it's always been a crap shoot to figure incremental cost. I got a similar surprise w/ elec. bill after an upgrade but could track it down to youngest son playing sports in HS and taking "luxurious" (read 20 minute) hot showers after practice every afternoon...

7. Joel()Les

Joel()Les Agent

Playing the stereo 3 hrs a day costs less than $5 month at typical listening levels. Maybe as much as $10 with the volume cranked to reference level with a powered subwoofer as part of your system.

8. Michael__M

Michael__M Stunt Coordinator

Turn off your A/C to save power. Let the bass blow through your hair to cool you off. [​IMG]

9. Dennis Gardner

Dennis Gardner Stunt Coordinator

Fuel costs to produce your power in CO. went up. I doubt if your usage went up much. Maybe you are just staying home using more power now that you got your new Yammie!

10. Abe Rodrigue

Abe Rodrigue Stunt Coordinator

The receiver upgrade in your house will not increase your bill that much. In fact (if your water heater is electric) take 3 extra showers in a month and that would raise your bill more than the change in receivers. (unless it is a drastic change in size.) The biggest draws in a house are range, AC, Electric heat, water heater, microwave, dryer, refrigerator, then probably your HT. What I am saying is that your HT draws it's fair amount of current just not as much as some other things. Hope this helps.

11. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Different equipment has different levels of efficiency. Even being the energy aware person I am, I still remind myself that most stereo equipment doesn't use near the same amount of electricity as your dishwasher, dryer, air conditioning and lights.