Can A CD-ROM Drive Play a DVD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Preyer, Dec 20, 2002.

1. Michael Preyer

At work today, the guy in the next cube asked me if a DVD movie will play in his CD-RW machine at work. I told him I didn't think so, but that I'd try to find out for sure.

I just tried it on my computer at home without any luck. Is there maybe some software that will allow it work? I'm guessing the laser pickup system is different. But if so, how come a DVD player can play a CD?

Thanks!
    Michael

2. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

No, a CD-ROM can't play a DVD.

3. Chad Ellinger

Chad Ellinger Second Unit

The laser pickup for a DVD is different. DVD players generally have two lasers - one for DVD and one for CD.

4. Michael Preyer

Thanks for the feedback. And Chad, thanks for answering how a DVD player reads CD's.

Michael

5. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Only if the CDRW drive he has is also a DVD player. They do make drives that are a cdrw and a DVD player in 1 unit which would do the job and the new DVD writeable machines will do both as well. But from what it sounds like your partners machine cannot run DVD's since it is a standard CD Burner and since it is not a software issue but hardware there isnt software that will fix the problem.

KyleS

6. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Only a few DVD players actually have two lasers. It's a selling point that improves the chances of playing different types of CD-R and RW.

Generally, a DVD player can "retune" its one laser to read CDs, but sometimes it doesn't work. The reverse is not true because CD players, invented before DVD, simply aren't designed to do that.

//Ken

7. Michael Preyer

That makes sense. It's interesting how technology just keeps moving forward at a fast pace.

I was watching the Special Features on the "Total Recall, Special Edition" DVD a few days ago. That movie was released in 1990, not all that long ago for someone in their mid-40's like me. Yet the director was explaining how CG was not good enough back then to do what they wanted to do, so all of the Martian landscapes were created in actual models at great expense of time and labor. Now days it could be done in CG much quicker and cheaper.

I also remember buying my very first home stereo component CD player, single disk, for $700. I remembered thinking how cool it would be if the average person could have a CD-recorder, but never dreamed it would happen. And now you can buy DVD recorders. What's next? Chances are it will be something that will make my DVD collection obsolete... grrrr!

Michael