Can a CD go bad?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Elliott Willschick, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Elliott Willschick

Elliott Willschick Second Unit

I was playing my Audioslave CD in the car today and it started skipping. Now when I go to song 12 it skips to song two. Song 11 won't get past the first note. The CD is not scratched or warped. It does this on all of my players including DVD player. I have it since November and treat all my CDs nicely. How could this happen?

Thanks

2. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

You can't always see all the scratches. There very well could be some damage.

Playing CDs in you car also adds track marks. I always highly recommend against playing purchased CDs in the car- use CDRs and/or an MP3 player instead.

NP: David Bowie, Heathen, SACD

3. Paul Seyfarth

Paul Seyfarth Stunt Coordinator

If I were you I would burn a copy of a cd when you buy it and just keep that in your car. Otherwise you will end up killing alot of your CDs

4. Elliott Willschick

I usually do but my CD burner broke and I'm planning on getting a new computer. I just haven't had the chance to go out and get one. However, I will definetly stay away from playing good CDs in the car.

Thanks

Ell

5. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I have a CD from Polygram Music Hong Kong from 1992 with the aluminum layer slowly "disappearing". And I am not talking about "pin holes" either. There are not scratches or any physical marks on the surface of either side. I am just waiting for the whole CD to disintegrate.

6. Khoa Tran

Khoa Tran Supporting Actor

it's a conspiracy! cd makers developed a new cd that deteriorates! so you have to go out and buy a new one!!!!

just kidding =)

7. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

8. Peter Mazur

Peter Mazur Second Unit

I have a number of cd's that I bought in 1987. They look brand new and play perfectly. In fact I have never had a cd that didn't play.

9. StevenW

StevenW Second Unit

I've never had a problem in my life with any cd's besides the normal scratches....now dvd's....thats a different story, go figure.

10. Leif Wall

Leif Wall Second Unit

I play my store-bought cds in my truck all the time with virtually no scratches. Including some discs that I play ALL THE TIME that look and sound perfect. Go figure.

11. Elliott Willschick

The oddest thing is that it plays fine in my RP82. Otherwise it skips on everything else. Luckily I have a friend who owns it so they are making me a CDR. I usually back up all my CDs and use CDRs in the car but since my recorder broke I was getting bored of listening to the same stuff all the time [​IMG]

12. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

It's 'estimated' CD's will last one hundred year's.
    After that...

13. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I generally only play CD-Rs in the car. An exception is when I buy a CD and can't wait to hear it until I get home.

For rare and out-of-print CDs, I make CD-Rs for home and car use.

On a related note, some CDs made by PDO in the '80s were made of silver instead of aluminum and show tarnishing (or "CD rot"). See the following thread on Steve Hoffman's forum:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/sh...threadid=10924

14. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

I recently read a Scientific American article that discussed archive media, and they noted that a CD-media normally is guaranteed to last only 30 years. After that...
    I think my vinyl records will outlast my CDs.

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Anthony, what did they would typically happen to a CD after 30 years? What is the basis for their assertion?