Can a cable go "dead" while installing?

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Woo Jae, May 22, 2003.

1. Woo Jae

Woo Jae Screenwriter

Hello folks

I am the proud owner or a Panasonic RP91 from NewEggs for 299 and tried to hook it up to my HK-AVR520 last night using a Better Cables Digital Coaxial Cable (1.5 m). Upon doing so, I discovered that I got NO output via the Coax (fiddled with the DVD to PCM and Bitstream output, to no avail) I also tried hooking up another DVD player, Toshiba SD 2150 via the digital coax (which had worked the previous week) and there was STILL no sound output to my AVR....

When I hooked it up via the 2 channel output, everything worked.

Has my Better Cables Digital Coax cable gone bad? What's going on here??!!

Any help would be appreciated...

2. Manendra

Manendra Stunt Coordinator

If it is the cable, I'd be pretty disappointed because I thought BetterCables has a very good reputation for providing reliable products!

3. Woo Jae

Woo Jae Screenwriter

I just called their customer service, and they said they will replace it for $5 for return shipping... I will test a second digital coax this weekend to see if it is the cable or the receiver....

Good CS

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

First: grab any old interconnect and see if it works better. Even an audio cable will appear to work if your equipment is setup for coaxial-digital signals.

Second: take a VCR/CATV box with a COMPOSITE VIDEO output (single RCA connector) and use the BetterCables cable to feed this signal to your TV. If you get picture, the problem is NOT the cable.

Yes, cables can short under the connector (the mesh shield can short to the center wire), or the center wire can break/come loose from the pin from either over or under crimping (or tight bending). All companies sometimes make a bad cable (cables are labor-intensive and there is a human behind every custom cable). But BetterCables will stand behind their product. That's how they built their reputation - by supporting their customers.

(Let me guess - a replacement cable is on it's way right after your phone call? That used to be SOP for them.)

5. Woo Jae

Woo Jae Screenwriter

Bettercables will test it first and if nothing is wrong, they said they will ship it back.

I will try the video signal through the VCR using the Better Cables - if that is the case, than it is my receiver's Coax Digital IN for the DVD jack.

Mainly I just want to know what has caused the problem. If it is my receiver, I would like to know. I liked having digital signals fed to my HK-AVR520 [​IMG]

The thing is I see NO reason as to why the cable would not work with the new player or the old one. I tried three DVD players, which were functioning a day earlier with the same connection.

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Good suggestion Bob.

7. Woo Jae

Woo Jae Screenwriter

MYSTERY SOLVED!

Sorry to say, I am a fool to try to hook up A/V equipment late at night under poor lighting conditions. I had mistakenly thought that the Coax digital OUT on the receiver was the Coax Digital IN, and thus had no sound output from the DVD to the receiver. Of course, I repeat this mistake across three DVD players. Go figure :b :b :b :b

By the way, Brad Marcus, the owner of Better cables, called me up at work to suggest the same thing that Bob did: Try the composite video signal to the TV and see if you get an image. Of course, trying it proved that the cable was fine.

A big thumbs up to BetterCables for prompt service, hassle free agents/representatives, and of course careful attention to customer service.

8. Manendra

Manendra Stunt Coordinator

Now THAT'S what I call CUSTOMER SERVICE! [​IMG] [​IMG] for BetterCables.