Can a amp's output get weak with age or abuse?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EarleD, Mar 23, 2002.

1. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

I was just given a Adcom 2535 amp for free because it didnt work. I replaced to fuses in it and it now works.

I bridged the it amp so that it is a 200 watt amp and use it to power my center channel.

When I recalibrated I expected to have to reduce the gain on the reciever center channel level, but instead I had to increase it by 1 db. I amp was not treated with care, it was used in a coffee shop. The grime in the amp was thick. A can of air blew out most of the crap. The clip indicators dont come on when watching a movie.

I am using a Denon 3802 as the preamp which is rated at 110 watts in the center channel, now i'm powering the center channel with 200 watts.

Thoughts?

Earle

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Generally you'll find that solid state devices will just fail period. I can't see as to why there should be any reason as to why its output would decrease. 1 db is not a big thing. I'd say you got a hell of a deal...free and replace some fuses. Certainly clean it up and pay some attention to your various connectors to make sure they're not crudded up with either corrosion or grease. Nice coffee shop! My son picked up an old Fender guitar tube amp for $50 because it supposedly wasn't working. Switch was in the wrong position. He's been offered close to a grand for it. He's keeping it. Good luck!

3. Brandon B

Brandon B Second Unit

It makes perfect sense that you might have to increase sensitiviy by 1 dB. If the Adcom has slightly less input sensitivity than the Denon's internal amp, this would cause this (or the preamp signal being slightly attenuated by going out of the receiver, through an IC and into an exernal amp vs. a direct internal handoff of the signal).

The fact that it is 200 watts vs. 110 means you can crank the thing up much farther above calibrated level without running out of power, not that it will be louder at calibrated level requiring decreased input level.

Not worded very cleanly, but does it make sense?

BB

4. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

Brandon,

Yes it makes sense. I was thinking along those lines.

Chu Gai,

I finaly found that great deal on something for my HT.

The best deal is free

Thanks

Earle