What's new

Can a 2 years old enjoy a movie in a theater? (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Well, almost 2 years old.

The Lion King IMAX thingie is playing right now and I was thinking a taking the little gal but I am concerned, is it too early? Will she be scared by the huge moving images and the booming sound or will she enjoy herself?

Of course, I would have enough courtesy to exit if she got noisy... :)

--
Holadem

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor
It's risky. I think my son was able to enjoy Shrek at just over 2, but he didn't sit entirely still the entire time (I was at a private showing where young kids and their vearious behaviors were allowed).

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
She loves the Sesame St stuff. I don't know about cartoons. She has never experienced my HT either. Long story.

--
Holadem

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
I took my two year old to see Spiderman during an afternoon screening. She sat throw it without any problem. This movie plays on my projector more than any other movie in my collection because it's her favorite.:D

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor
I'm going to change my answer. Can a 2 year old sit through a movie? Absolutely. The problem is that you can't really know how YOUR 2 year old will do, so there's no real harm in taking her as long as you can afford it and as long as you are prepared to leave if she doesn't like it (this is a real possibility). It might help to bring some small snack (cheerios, popcorn, etc.) to help her settle down.

KyleS

Screenwriter
My son is 15 months and he can sit through about half of Shrek or Bugs Life before he gets impatient. I think probably about the age of 3 he should be entertained for the entire movie.

He loves Sesamee St too especially Elmo's World. He goes nuts everytime this comes on and will sit through all of it.

Best of luck

KyleS

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
If you insist on bringing a 2-year-old to a movie theater, you might want to find out if any theaters in your area offer 'kid-friendly' showings. I know of some theaters that set aside certain nights/showtimes wherein parents can bring young children, and don't have to worry about the children making noise or being disruptive.

That being said, I've never taken my 2-year-old daughter to a theater. She's happy enough watching her DVDs at home. And she's usually good for most of Little Mermaid, Lilo and Stitch, Monsters Inc., Wizard of Oz, etc...

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
Well, I hope she does, because if she does not, then I bet nobody will.

Let me be the 1st to strongly encourage you to leave the kiddies at home. I don't go to theaters any more, but when I did, anytime there was a disturbance, it was always some baby/little kid crying or yapping. You said you would leave if she got noisy. Well, I sure hope you would do it the instant she starts acting up.

The socially responsible thing to do is leave the kids with a sitter or wait for the movie to be released on DVD/VHS.

Yes that is a pretty hard line, but come on, have a little courtesy. I know your kid(s) are probably cute, but I would wager that nobody else in that theater wants to hear a child's tantrum halfway through a good movie, especially after having spent at least $20 on tickets and snacks. :thumbsdown:

Of course I don't have kids, but I am many times an uncle, and I would never want to have any of those rugrats in the theater with me or anyone else. Too much of a risk for wah-wah-wah.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
I would expect an animated film to have a theater full of children doing all sorts of child-like things. For Disney movies and other animated children's films I, as a theater-goer, completely expect to see and hear children and expect that not all of them will be able to be perfect the whole time. That is something that I, as an adult, have to adjust to. No way could I go to see the Lion King and be upset by crying or shouting or talking or flying popcorn or throwing-up or running around and bouncing in the chairs or all the other things kids are wont to do. We ask kids to be adults at adult films where (frequently) they do not belong, I think it only fitting that we let the kids act like kids for their movies.

If I want a quiet place to view a children's movie then I watch it at home.

I hope the children who go to this screening will have a wonderful, magical time that they will remember their whole lives.

Is 2 old enough? Maybe. I'll go with everyone above saying it depends on the child. Some can, some can't.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
I'm with Richard on questioning whether that level of volume is safe for a child that young.

Robert, I understand your point and would agree if we were talking about a movie made for adults. But this is the Lion King, and it's perfectly reasonable and not at all discourteous to bring children to that movie.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
I brought my oldest son to his first movie theater experience a few weeks ago when Jungle Book 2 came out. He's almost 3 1/2 and I figured it was about the earliest I could have brought him due to his attention span. He did well and next week we get to see Piglet's Big Movie. Man, I'm going to see these things and the last movie I got to see in the theater was Two Towers.

Patrick

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
Robert, I understand your point and would agree if we were talking about a movie made for adults. But this is the Lion King, and it's perfectly reasonable and not at all discourteous to bring children to that movie.
So true. Yeah, for kiddie movies, of course it's not a problem...but don't take the kids to a grown up movie. Sorry for missing that detail earlier.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
If she hasn't yet been to a theatre for a film, I wouldn't start her out with an IMAX presentation. As the others have noted, it's going to be far too loud (and big) for her and she will probably end up miserable (and scared) from the experience. And if she does get scared, she *won't* want to go to any theatre to see another movie - she'll think that they'll all be like the first one. You might be better off with something calming like the new "Piglet" movie at your local multiplex during a bargain matinee to get her used to the experience. I did the same with my son when he was that age. Due to my job at the time, I had the chance to take him to a private showing of Willy Wonka back in 1996, it was the first movie he ever saw theatrically. Since it wasn't a public show (and he'd seen it on video), I thought that was the ideal way to break him in. If he had trouble, it was no great loss to leave the theatre for a few minutes (which we did when he got a little frightened by Mr. Slugworth). He's loved going to the movies ever since - though very loud movies still bother his hearing, and he's 8 now.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I can remember when I took my 2 year old son, now 6, to the cinema. He threw his juicy cup about 5 rows ahead of our row. It was a little rough as I had to hold him most of the time. Their attention span is not as long as a 3 year old. However, it is possible.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think 2 is too young. My cousin took her 3 year old to his first movie this past summer ("Veggietales"). That seemed about the right age, as long as it's a kid's movie.

His attention span was developed enough that he watched the whole movie, but he was still a little sketchy on the issue of movie etiquette (i.e. talking (and in a soft voice)).

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
OK, I will wait a few more months ;)

Seriously, if there is any risk at all of a traumatic experience then it's out for now and hearing damage as I suspected, then it's out for now.

Thanks!

--
Holadem

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks