What's new

Can 5.1 be recorded to a DVD Reorder? (1 Viewer)

Drew Mertz

Stunt Coordinator
What I mean is this...

Heres the deal I want to back up a couple of my laserdiscs that have 5.1 audio. Now if the DVD Recorder has a digital in (coax or opt) can I transfer the signal from the LD to the DVD Recorder and capture that 5.1. *Yes it would be running through the necessary RF Demoudulator.

I had one of the first DVD Recoders that panny put out a couple years ago and It just recorded in stereo and all in all was a $1000 piece of shit! It rarely worked when it did most of the time the picture was blocky and worthless.

I`ve seen a huge improvement with the newer players, but before I put down the money on a new one I woulld just like to know in advance if getting the 5.1 is possible.

Thanks in advance!

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
Check out the upcoming Philips DVDR740 and DVDR755. I don't know why either of those would not record LaserDiscs with DD 5.1 audio.

Chris

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Yes, with some trickiery, a PVR you own, and a phillips screwdriver.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer

Nope...no consumer grade DVD recorder (standalone) will record 5.1..no matter what the source.

David Massey

Agent
To record 5.1 you would have to sacrifice picture quality since it takes so much more room on a disc than stereo does.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

Nonsense. The Panasonic units record DD 2.0 at 256kbps. DD 5.1 can be recorded at 384kbps. Relatively speaking, that's an insignificant increase in digital real estate.

M.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

If your DVD Recorder supports Dolby Digital 2.0, it's a better way to improve picture resolution, since Dolby Surround is PCM Audio and limits watchable video to about 90 minutes.

I debated the standalone vs. PC a couple of months ago and the PC won, only on authoring flexability. Professional applications like Adobe Encore DVD allow you to create DD 2.0 discs, and import AC-3 5.1 mixes created with other programs (such as Steinberg's Cubase SX with the AC-3 plug-in). It's slower going obviously and requires far more capital investment, but if you're just timeshifting, a standalone will do.

BrianS

Stunt Coordinator

What is the release date for the 740? I tried to find it but have had no luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks