Camp fire stories

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lance Nichols, Jul 23, 2002.

1. Lance Nichols

Lance Nichols Supporting Actor

No, not the "and the mouse had a peg leg..." type, but this sort:

Once, at Band camp...

No, wait, THIS type:

I remember going to one scout camp as a councilor, and the guy who had prepared the bonfire had rigged a "flaming Arrow" type Rube Goldburg with a wire and a roadway flare, and an 16oz Styrofoam cup of Naptha gas.

The cup had been sitting in the middle of the firepit for about 1 hour before ignition, and you could see this long, slow motion arrow slide down from the sky. then there was this quiet, pregnant pause then KABLAMM! The flame front was impressive, and blew all but the big logs out of the firepit.

Gave those kids something to talk about all week, and they really were careful around the fire after that.

Got more then that, but that was one of the best.

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I don't really have anything like that except the usual melting things in the fire.

My older brother (aka: Captain Destructo) used to go camping with a bunch of drunken college friends in a place they affectionately called "Anarchy grove".

Well, someone followed the exact opposite of the warning label on a can of bug spray. ("do not incinerate") By tossing it into the fire.

A few moments later, my brother said it looked like a mini atomic bomb: a rolling fireball into the air.

Luckily no one got hurt, but the raining, flaming debris put a few holes in a few tents.

3. Dave_Brown

Dave_Brown Supporting Actor

Many years ago as teens, a group of us were hosting one of our beer and bonfire bashes. We usually meet on this trail out in the woods for the festivities. One year, the night before opening day of fishing season, we made plans to have another bash.

About 6 of us got out there early to get everything ready (i.e., start the signal fire...). We had a huge pit ready and loaded it with logs. The only way to really start the fire was with a few jolts from the gas can. Well, the guy in charge went a little nuts and used the whole five gallon can on the logs. When he chucked that match in there, it was incredible! Flames rocketing into the air, looking like we just launch the space shuttle.

Of course, unknown to us was that an officer from the Department of Natural Resources was in the woodline observing the whole thing. Like I said, since it was the day before trout season he just happened to be out there making sure no fishermen jumped the gun. He comes storming over really chewing us out. He started searching the cars for beer but like I said, we provided the fire, the alcohol was to arrive later. Still can't believe we didn't get busted, espicially the guy who actually lit that thing off.

Luckily, he was so busy screaming at us that he didn't notice the line of headlights getting ready to come down the trail. One of our crew slipped away and took off down the trail to warn everyone away. A few of us still talk about this night when we get ready for trout season each year!

4. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

I've seen many 'almost' fist fights over miscellaneous inappropriate and secretly inserted materials which unexpectedly set a slightly drunk contented sleepy sky diver's clothes sparking at the end of the day next to the nightly bonfire.

I used to get irritated by the sometimes overly severe adult reactions to Boy-scout shenanigans at camps. Once some young Scouts (I knew 'whom' but wouldn't tell) set the 'Cow barge' adrift in the middle of the night on the big lake. This meant that the Eagle Scouts (the only authorized passengers) had to walk all the way round the large lake to make it to their breakfast on time that morning. Many adults in charge stated their intent to expel the culprits from camp when caught.
    I found this ridiculous, I thought it was one of their better tricks, boat not hurt, no possibility of a 'body' being hurt, Eagle Scouts had to use their feet one morning.

I did get upset with the older kids scaring the little ones to death with fabricated tales of tent invasions by the resident rare alligators. The year I was there for a week, a 5 footer kept walking across the road changing residence from the fishing lake to the swimming lake.
    The Scouts had to catch him twice and put him back in the bottom lake. It did not help to try and comfort the little Scouts about the fallacy of the 'campers eaten' stories when they saw this going on.

5. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

One time, roasting marshmellows at a camp fire, my cousin's friend propped his feet up wearing tennis shoes towards the fire. He forgot about it and the rubber started melting on the shoes. He got up and screamed because his soles of his shoes were burning hot and he swung his marshmellow and it landed on my cousin's face. The marshmellow burnt a horrible scar on my cousin's face it cost him thousands of dollar's in cosmetic surgery to fix it.
    Sad story, but true... never prop your feet up at a camp fire. [​IMG]

6. Lance Nichols

Lance Nichols Supporting Actor

Ouch.... (marshmellows)

My left hand appears to be cursed, most accidents and injuries have occurred to that hand. On camp I was melting the ends of Nylon ropes shut (quicker and easier then whipping nylon). Damn rope lit up, I dunked it in the water bucket, but it din't cool enough in the brief dunking, and re-ignited after, dripped a big flaming drop of nylon on me, and man did that BURN. I still have a dime sized scar, nylon is like Napalm, bad stuff to get spilled on you.

7. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

We setup a rather large bonfire in the woods once. Filled with gas, lit it, and man did that thing go up. Half an hour later, the flames weren't as high, and one of the guys decided we needed more wood.

Next thing I know, this idiot is soaking a wooden picnic table with gas, and dragging it towards the fire. Pushed it over onto it and lit the whole thing up... forgetting that it was our place to sit. And eat. Etc, etc...

8. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

We have a musical festival every year called "X-fest" formerly known as "Edgefest". I literally have dozens of stories from the past years. This one happened last year:
    Someone from another campsite decided to throw a propane canister in the fire but didn't tell anyone. Well...you guessed it. Kaboom!! And let's just say there was shrapnel flying in every direction, as well as people running in every direction. No one was hurt besides shaking in their booties thank goodnes.
    Another one happened to me several years ago:
    As I was sleeping I hear a truck literally 2 feet from my head spinning his tires as he's TRYING to get out of some mud(2 wheel drive by the way). Well, I wake up from my slumber and jump in the Jeep, pull behind him, hook up the strap and pull him out in 2 wheel drive. Well, I thought to myself "That was a good deed". Later that day I'm walking back to my campsite when i see a truck pull into our site. At this point everyone yells "Fire it up!!" meaning he's going to do a rooster tail in the mud. It had been raining for 2 days and the ground was a mix of mud and sand. Well the next thing I know he does it and continues to do it as he passes by my Jeep. Well he successfully caked the entire outside of my Jeep with one solid blanket of mud. Well I was a little miffed but not really mad. I mean, really, I've done that myself a few times. As I walked around the vehicle I discovered that I had left my driver side window open that morning and in my slumber forgot to shut it. The ENTIRE instrument panel, front window, etc was caked with mud. That's when I lost my cool[​IMG]. To make a long story longer, the guy eventually returned and walked over to me with a $100 bill. I thought that was cool of him and left it at that. Ah the memories!! [​IMG]

9. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

My best friend has a beach lot on the lake here, and we usually have a big fire a few times a week. Earlier this season I brought a few empty cans of spray paint over to throw in the fire and see what the explosion was like. Well, we made a nice fire and let it get down to just hot coals and we threw the spray can on top and ran for cover. We sat there for about 5 minutes waiting for it to explode but nothing. Suddenly it exploded and sent all of the coals flying and left a crater in the fire pit, it was pretty cool actually and no one got hurt.

We tried this again, but decide to build a small fire right beside the water. We stood the spray can on it's bottom and built the fire around it and then lit the fire and ran for cover. It didn't take long for the can to explode and when it did the can's bottom blew out and propelled the can about 100 feet in the air and it landed about 80 feet out in the water. It looked so cool seeing a ball of flame shooting through the air.

10. Cameron Seaman

Cameron Seaman Supporting Actor

These are great stories!!

11. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

My uncle used to regale us with his camping stories while he was in the military.
    Story #1: Fire Chicken - everyone sits around the fire and someone throws a spray can in. The winner is the last person to haul ass out of there...
    Story #2: The infamous Nude Fire Jumping - build a nice-sized fire, strip down to nothing, and take a running leap over the flaming hurdle...
    In the interest of science, I have tried this last one myself. However, being a somewhat hairy guy, it wasn't much fun [​IMG]

12. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Who can forget that dope on Survivor who passed out and cooked his hand... right on national TV!

13. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

What the hell was his excuse for falling in the fire? Didn't he say he was mesmerized by the flames or something about the smoke? Either way, he was an idiot for being that close and actually falling in.