What's new

Cameron Crowe’s ‘Say Anything’ (1 Viewer)

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
As I was watched this film for the very first time tonight, I said to myself, “Damn, how come we don’t get teenage movies that are this good anymore?”
Cameron Crowe’s Say Anything is well-written, beautifully acted, funny and above all, real. There is not a single false moment in this film. John Cusack is in top form in this film along with Ione Skye and John Mahoney. It is one of the best romantic comedies I have seen in a while.
What a way to cap my week in films with a trifecta. First, there was We Were Soldiers. Then comes Lantana. And now this.
:)
~Edwin

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I agree, Say Anything is too much of a rarity.

Why I'm really responding is, how was Lantana? I am a fan of, I believe, maybe Ray Lawrences only other studio film Bliss.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Edwin
Glad you liked it.:) Say Anything is one of the best "teen" dramedy films ever made. John Cusack and Ione Skye give great performances. Who can ever forget the classic scene where he holds the radio above his head playing "In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel. That scene and song are forever linked because of this great film. "Real" is the best description for this modern mini classic. Cameron Crowe really is a thinking man's John Hughes, doncha think?:D
Next...try Crowe's "Singles"

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Couldn't agree with you more, Edwin. (Except that stuff about We Were Soldiers :) )
Say Anything is a true rarity: it's a deeply touching and realistic romance movie that never gets sappy or trite, there are several very funny moments ("Lloyd Lloyd all null and void..."), the acting performances are spot-on perfect, etc. I could go on and on about how great I think this movie is. (Oh yeah, the soundtrack kicks ass, Cusack's the man, sister Joan is awesome, that little blonde kid kills me, Ione Skye is luminous, Stoltz and Piven are great in bit parts...) OK, deep breath.
Don't even get me started on this phenomenal new DVD either....which features one of the best commentaries I've ever heard. :):)
OK, love time's over. I'm switching over to A.I. mode for the rest of the weekend.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Edwin,

This might surprised you but "Say Anything..." is one of my favorite films from the 1980's. It is one of the most intelligently written films ever made about young love and the difficulties that exist for recent high school graduates as they crossed over to adulthood. Furthermore, I consider John Cusack very much underrated as an actor and I personally place him among my 10 favorite actors working today. I can't even count how many times I've seen this film over the last 12-13 years. Great Stuff!

Crawdaddy

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
Its really a shame the no one rights really good teen films anymore. Its just crap nowadays thats trying to make money and as no message. The American Pie flicks are alright, their funny, but dont really say much. Say Anything will always be up there with Breakfest Club and Sixteen Candles.

andrew_werdna

Auditioning
"Don't even get me started on this phenomenal new DVD either....which features one of the best commentaries I've ever heard."

that's the feature i wanted most of all, and listened to first before watching the movie again. in particular, i had to confirm whether that "shivering" in the car love scene actually occured to crowe himself or not. i don't know why, but i just need to know these things.

there's something about crowe that makes him one of the best conversationalists in america today. he's always talking about something good or cool, rarely bitches, and unlike most other people who have this type of attitude, he does not do it in a sappy manner and is actually quite articulate, interesting, and fresh. i could listen to crowe talk about his movies all damn day.

John Stone

Supporting Actor
"Say Anything" is a fantastic movie, and the new DVD is much better than I had ever hoped for. Super transfer, sound, and extra features. The commentary is fascinating, never dull for a moment. At less than $15.00, this DVD is a must-have!

After listening Cusack's commentary on this disc, I'm especially hopeful that he will also do one for the upcoming "Better Off Dead" DVD (which I am dying for). He's a great actor, and he's also an extremely engaging speaker.

Great job Fox!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Robert,
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
I fear you are correct! I also fear too many people don't understand what you are saying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks