1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Camera Recomendation

Discussion in 'Photography' started by drobbins, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I'll second Man's recommendation for an 85mm prime as a future consideration (but not to start out). I bought a Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 lens a few months ago, and really love it. The focal length works well in my kit, the auto focus is smooth and quick, and the image quality is outstanding for a lens at this price point ($380, plus $20ish for the hood).

2. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave
    We were in Sam's club yesterday and they had a Cannon EOS Rebel XS package for $650. It came with the camera, an EFS 18-55 lens, an EFS 75-300 lens, 2gb memory and carrying bag. BB wanted $750 for basically the same thing so we purchased it. When we got home to look at it, we discovered that the camera was not in the box.

3. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Nice, congrats!

4. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Wow, Dave. I'm late to the thread, didn't realize how long ago you started it. When I saw the $1800+ package you bought, I said to myself, "NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!"

I'm glad you returned it, but I'm curious as to how smoothly the exchange went.

The Canon you ended up with was a good choice. The two lenses she has will suffice for a good long while. Make it clear to her that there will be no talk of upgrades until she's learned to use these two to their fullest potential; she may get bored fairly quickly and get bit by the upgrade bug. I'd steer her toward a 50 f/1.8 when the time is right. Everyone should own (and appreciate) a prime lens.

My only other suggestion is a decent external flash (I'm a Nikon guy, so I cannot make a specific recommendation). Then have her learn to use it off-camera. This will open up a whole new world.

One more thing: Once she's familiar with the basic controls, see that she learns to shoot in aperture-priority, shutter-priority or manual. Shooting in automatic (or any of the so-called custom modes) severely limits your growth as a photographer.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Jon

5. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave
    We were able to cancel the order before it shipped so it was not much trouble.

I am interested to see how she progresses with this camera.

6. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    As for other camera recommendations, the Nikon D3S is now in stock at B& and Amazon if anyone has $5200 to burn or needs a tax dodge you are welcome to buy one for me for Christmas!

Sam

7. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave
    Have you been a good boy????

8. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    A VERY good boy Santa!