Cameo-Parkway boxed set... the rumors are heating up

Discussion in 'Music' started by Brian W., Feb 16, 2004.

1. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian
    Since the late eighties it's been rumored that the Cameo-Parkway recordings, owned by ABKCO, will be issued on CD. Its artist roster includes the likes of Chubby Checker, Charlie Gracie, The Orlons, ? and the Mysterions, Dee Dee Sharp.

None of these artists' hits have ever appeared on legit CDs before, except for the occasional odd track licensed for a compilation, such as "Limbo Rock" on the Moonlighting TV soundtrack. It's amazing to think that Chubby Checker's hit recording of "The Twist" has never appeared on a non-bootleg CD. But all this time, they've been just rumors.

But the rumors have never flown like they are now. The info is coming in from all over that 2004 is the year. The lastest comes from the head of Collector's Choice Music, Gordon Anderson. In their new catalog, his editoral says he has it from very reliable, highly-placed sources that a Cameo-Parkway boxed set is coming out this year.

Now the son of Charlie Gracie, who was their first artist with his 1957 hit "Butterfly," has just written a brief article for the Rockabilly Hall of Fame website, where he reveals that his father has just been interviewed for the liner notes of a boxed set to be released "later this year." It's scheduled to be followed up by individual artist compilations.

Very exciting news for oldies fans.

2. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

You're kidding me!

I read that decades ago (CD's have been around that long).

I long since gave up, and got the re-recordings, or the "imports".

If they did come out, apart from the possibility of interesting liner notes, would the sound be any improvement over what's been available?

Altho a lot of the music would be what I call "dreck" (Bobby Rydell singing The FISH), there were some hot songs from that era - like YOU CAN'T SIT DOWN.

And then there was the story about a DJ announcing a new record from that close knit group called The Orlons [​IMG]

3. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Well it's about f'in' time.

Why is it that these popular recordings have never, ever been on legit CDs?

4. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

"1994 is the year."

Huh?

5. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Oh, my God! Talk about a brain fart! Thanks for pointing that out, Larry.

6. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian

I think so. I was wondering that, too, but just last week I bought a used "Moonlighting" CD, that has the original "Limbo Rock" on it, and I must say I was amazed at how much better, clearer, and more detailed it sounded than either of the bootlegs I own.

Of course, none of this is official news yet, but now it's coming from multiple sources: Gracie's son, the president of Collector's Choice, the manager of one of the Cameo-Parkway groups (can't recall which one), and at least one other source. Also Jody Klein's interview a year or two in "Goldmine" saying that they were working on them (which no one took seriously at the time because they've been saying that for over a decade).

Rumor has it that the songs were held up by rights issues, that the company owed tons of back royalties to their artists, but who knows?

7. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

AB Klein gets a lotta dissing, I read he was responsible for recent Sam Cooke box set missing key tracks - like A CHANGE IS GONNA COME.

Holding out for a lot of money. [​IMG]

Did anyone ever get the HAIRSPRAY soundtrack, and reflect (or just get po'd) on how much music was missing?

Speaking of movie connections to Cameo-Parkway, a famous high school was named after Bobby Rydell [​IMG]

8. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian
    More news. Apparently Jeff Tamarkin, who I guess is known in music circles, but I don't know who he is, has been hired to write the liner notes to the Cameo-Parkway box, which he says will be out sometime this summer, and to expect an announcement soon... he also says the sound is "incredible."

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/sh...3&page=1&pp=20

EDIT: Oh, here he is... apparently he's the former editor of Goldmine magazine. He's got his own web site... and the news about the Cameo-Parkway box is right on the web site!

http://www.jefftamarkin.com/writing.htm

9. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Thanks for the links, that stuff sounds more interesting than I would have thought.

I still have a 45 rpm from the Times circa 1964 (virtually unplayable of course).

If YOU CAN'T SIT DOWN by the Dovells on a cd set approached the sonic power of Phil Upchurch's version, I could get blown away [​IMG]

10. rob kilbride

rob kilbride Supporting Actor

Rob Kilbride
    I guess nothing ever came of this rumor. It is absolutely ridiculous that we are approaching 25 years of cd technology and can't buy Chubby Checker's original hit recordings.

11. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Actually Rob, these rumours have resurfaced, and there is a lot of information and speculation at some music sites.

I think you have to be a member to use the Search function, but if you go to the following site you may be able to find a lengthy thread on the subject in the Music Corner. Within the last month or so in fact.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/

12. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Well I'll be. They actually released the darn thing in our lifetimes. I picked it up at lunch, and my quick first impression is very favorable. The packaging is pretty compact for a four disc set, but the discs themselves look pretty neat. They are on black CDs, the same kind that Playstation 1 games are made on, with the label side replicating a vinyl 45, inclusive of grooves and label.

The sound was very good as far as I could tell in my car, on par with the CD layers of recent ABKCO collections for The Animals and Herman's Hermits. I will not get a chance to do much critical listening until later in the week.

[​IMG]

Regards,

13. rob kilbride

rob kilbride Supporting Actor

Rob Kilbride
    Great! [​IMG] They finally release it and it doesn't have two of Chubby Checker's Top 10 hits : Popeye(The Hitchhiker) and The Fly. I'll pass and hope for a CC greatest hits collection hopefully sooner rather than later.