What's new

CAMELOT - WARNER VID, YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED. (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
MichaelEl said:
DVDs of older films often had an overall yellow tint - e.g., JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS. While I'm no expert on film, I tend to think this extra layer of yellow was used in order to boost contrast and impose the 6500K color standard on poor quality film elements. (At 6500 K, whites should look yellowish.) Many Blu-Rays of older films, on the other hand, seem to have an overall primary color tint - red, green, or blue - in comparison. This is probably the case with CAMELOT, although I haven't yet seen seen the disc. It's possible this tinting is occurring due to the light sources that are used on newer HD scanning equipment, but that is pure speculation on my part. One factor to consider though is that the white balance on many HD screens is not very good. More often than not, the default (standard) color temperature setting on an LCD is too green or blue. This is especially true for LCDs with LED backlighting. It's possible then that the color problems some people are seeing with CAMELOT have more to do with display calibration than any deficiencies in the transfer.
But that would not take into account the Blu-rays that look absolutely perfect, like The Ten Commandments. If a display were not properly calibrated or outputting some weird color balance, then all Blu-rays would look off, and one look at The Ten Commandments, a perfectly rendered color title, will tell you otherwise, at least on my set-up.

I literally cried while watching The Ten Commandments on blu-ray. I actually kept yelling, "Yes! Yes! Yes!" It was beautiful and perfect.

It was an emotional moment for me. I have been wanting a pristine edition of this film for years and years. Being a movie lover, it just hit me when I experienced the restoration. A moving moment for me.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
And that's what watching a perfect Blu-ray that contains a perfectly done transfer should be - an emotional and wonderful moment. It happens and when it does it makes the ones that don't reach that level even more frustrating - The Searchers a case in point - it should look just as good as The Ten Commandments - both VistaVision and shot within a year or so of each other.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
I watch snippets on Tuesday night and was HIGHLY disappointed. This film if anything was on the green side NOT brown. The green in the countryside , the gowns, the poster and most specifically Vaneesa Redgrave's eyes- very pale blue/green not brown. But more than the color though was the contrast- way too much. The contrast ruins it for me more than the off color.
However I watched the whole film from start to finish the following night with a friend who had never seen it- he utterly loved it. The script is superb as is the acting. Why oh why cannot they get it the right way? I suppose it's better than nothing but are we just loosing cinematic history until someone can fit the bill?
Sad.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
noel aguirre said:
I watch snippets on Tuesday night and was HIGHLY disappointed. This film if anything was on the green side NOT brown. The green in the countryside , the gowns, the poster and most specifically Vaneesa Redgrave's eyes- very pale blue/green not brown. But more than the color though was the contrast- way too much. The contrast ruins it for me more than the off color.
However I watched the whole film from start to finish the following night with a friend who had never seen it- he utterly loved it. The script is superb as is the acting. Why oh why cannot they get it the right way? I suppose it's better than nothing but are we just loosing cinematic history until someone can fit the bill?
Sad.
Green??? Really?

MichaelEl

Stunt Coordinator
haineshisway said:
But that would not take into account the Blu-rays that look absolutely perfect, like The Ten Commandments. If a display were not properly calibrated or outputting some weird color balance, then all Blu-rays would look off, and one look at The Ten Commandments, a perfectly rendered color title, will tell you otherwise, at least on my set-up.
That would depend on the look of each film and how far off the white balance was. It's quite possible THE TEN COMMANDMENTS would still look great on a display with a slightly miscalibrated white balance, while other, less well-mastered Blu-Rays might show a color bias.
For what it's worth, the monitor I'm using is well-calibrated, and I see nothing in screen caps of CAMELOT to indicate a bias towards brown. On the other hand, screencaps clearly show the yellow tinting of THE SEARCHERS and the red tinting of the SPARTACUS Blu-Ray.
Maybe this brown bias people are seeing with CAMELOT simply reflects the earthy color palette of the film.

Simon Lewis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Simon Lewis
Based on frame comparisons on Capsaholics, The Searchers blu-ray looks much better than the DVD with less yellow and the sky colours look about right. Its a great blu-ray in my opinion :-
http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/index.php?art=full&image=1&vergleich=the_searchers&lossless=0#auswahl

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Simon Lewis said:
Based on frame comparisons on Capsaholics, The Searchers blu-ray looks much better than the DVD with less yellow and the sky colours look about right. Its a great blu-ray in my opinion :-
http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/index.php?art=full&image=1&vergleich=the_searchers&lossless=0#auswahl
It is obviously the same transfer and while the Blu-ray does tighten everything up because Blu-ray does that, there is so little difference color-wise it's not even worth mentioning really. It's fine to think it a great Blu-ray - but it's wrong.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Unless I missed a post, I don't think another example of the sloppy presentation of this film has been commented on.
We now get the new Warners logo and "As time goes by" music in chapter 1 together with the film's Overture. You can't play the Overture seperately so we get" Casablana" meets" Camelot" .
This issue is really a mess.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
It is fun to see this advertisement for CAMELOT playing in 70mm and 6-track at the Fox Wilshire, although it doesn t indicate the date. It is obviously a re-issue, but the fact that the phone number starts with letters indicates it was a while ago. As a kid I was taken to see THE SOUND OF MUSIC there and it seemed so glamorous compared to the neighborhood theatres I was used to.
http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/4/photos/26756

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by KPmusmag /t/320441/camelot-warner-vid-you-should-be-ashamed/90#post_3923634
It is fun to see this advertisement for CAMELOT playing in 70mm and 6-track at the Fox Wilshire, although it doesn t indicate the date. It is obviously a re-issue, but the fact that the phone number starts with letters indicates it was a while ago. As a kid I was taken to see THE SOUND OF MUSIC there and it seemed so glamorous compared to the neighborhood theatres I was used to.
http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/4/photos/26756
That ad was for the 1973 re-release
The film originally opened at the Cinerama Dome in 1967

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
The Wilshire Theater is still there, now called the Saban. I went to an AIDS benefit show there last week - it's still stunningly gorgeous and I only wish it was still a movie palace. I saw so many great and grand films there, from classics like To Kill a Mockingbird and Birdman of Alcatraz and The Five Pennies, to roadshows like Exodus and The Sound of Music. I vividly remember two sneak previews there (in the days when sneak preview actually meant something) - one was Marilyn Monroe in Let's Make Love, and one was Brigitte Bardot in Come Dance with Me. In the latter, my mother literally dragged me from the theater when the leading man undid Miss Bardot's nightie and put his hand on her boob.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
haineshisway said:
In the latter, my mother literally dragged me from the theater when the leading man undid Miss Bardot's nightie and put his hand on her boob.
Thanks for a good laugh to brighten up a drab Monday afternoon! :)

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
Did anyone here see the digital print screening of The Searchers at the TCM festival? I was at the festival but they were showing Wings at the same time, so I went to Wings. I am curious to know how the TCM screening of The Searchers looked. (They were also screening The Macomber Affair, Cover Girl and Bringing Up Baby in that same time slot. AAARRGGGHHHH!)
I am also wondering if the technology now exists to color correct The Searchers to the proper palette. To my eyes, the blue of the skies on the Blu-ray look right (they didn't in either DVD) but the color of the earth and structures of Monument Valley is definitely off. Warners has already double-dipped on Casablanca, and if the tools now exist to deal with the color problems of The Searchers, would they consider Blu-ray no. 2? In fact, I'd be delighted to buy a Searchers "box o' junk"! :)

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by haineshisway /t/320441/camelot-warner-vid-you-should-be-ashamed/90#post_3923663
The Wilshire Theater is still there, now called the Saban. I went to an AIDS benefit show there last week - it's still stunningly gorgeous and I only wish it was still a movie palace. I saw so many great and grand films there, from classics like To Kill a Mockingbird and Birdman of Alcatraz and The Five Pennies, to roadshows like Exodus and The Sound of Music. I vividly remember two sneak previews there (in the days when sneak preview actually meant something) - one was Marilyn Monroe in Let's Make Love, and one was Brigitte Bardot in Come Dance with Me. In the latter, my mother literally dragged me from the theater when the leading man undid Miss Bardot's nightie and put his hand on her boob.
One can only imagine what she did to you while watching "The First Nudie Musical"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks