1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Cambridge Soundworks Surround Speakers - Opinions Please

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Compton, Sep 7, 2001.

1. Rob Compton

Rob Compton Auditioning

My wife and I will be closing on our new house in about a week. The house has an unfinished basement that will
    become my home theater in (hopefully) about two years. For the time being my system will be in the family room. I am looking for a new set of surrounds and am looking to spend around $300. Can't spend much more due to wife wanting all kinds of new furniture! My receiver is a Sony V-333ES and I have Infinity 2000.1 bookshelfs as my surrounds along with a set of 2000.4 fronts and a CC-2 center. I like my current set up, but would like something a little smaller than the bookshelfs for my rears as space is limited. I think my wife would like something that could be wall mounted as well. I am considering the Cambridge The Surround 5.1s and the Newton series S300s and S200s. Any opinions on these? I like the multipole abilities of the three and the Newtons look nice (WAF). Thanks for your help.

2. MarkO

MarkO Second Unit

The Newtons do look nice. CS is no slouch, and worth an audition in my book. The S300s list for 449.00, a bit over what you want to spend. The 300 IMHO are the ones to shoot for. The 200 (249.00) seems more of a prologic type surrond, with its two small drivers.

3. Paul Allen Keatley

Paul Allen Keatley Auditioning

The cambridge products are imho not the best choice they look good on paper but the sound is strained and a bit harsh on the system I heard them on. For a little over 300 for the pair maybe Paridigm mini monitors or Nht or even Polk(built in wall mounts)might fit the bill. Remember when we comprise we trend to have the upgrade bug for a lot longer

4. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

"Can't spend much more due to wife wanting all kinds of new furniture!"
    Whoa, Whoa....can't a better arrangement be made? What kind of budget does she get compared to yours? It must work both ways....to have a happy marriage [​IMG]
    Jeremy

5. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Rob: I'm biased.
    I've been running a pair of The Surround 5.1's for almost 2 years (usually in dipole mode.) Working within their known limitation of no bass below 100 Hz, they are good little speakers. (They aren't the last word in high frequencies (the high frequencies come from 2 inch drivers (if I'm remembering right??) but they hold up pretty well.)
    A few years back, Home Theater Magazine rated them the best surround speakers under a grand (at that time of course.)
    For the $$$, they will be tough to beat. And I believe CSW offers a 30 day return policy too.
    ------------------

6. Rob Compton

Rob Compton Auditioning

Thanks for the input so far. As far as the furniture goes,
    we will both be using it so I can't really use that as leverage. Also, I did get a full basement (she wanted
    the half basement) so I can't really complain too much. I am leaning towards the Newton 300s because Cambridge is running $150 off those so they would be $300. I also noticed a pair of refurbished Surround 5.1s on ebay that I can probably get for a little over $100. They are from HiFi.com and have the 10 year warranty. Thanks.