What's new

Cambridge Soundworks Newton Theatre 200...Any opinions? (1 Viewer)

Dan_R_M

Stunt Coordinator
Don't see much of cambridge soundworks around here? Any comments or opinions on there speakers and there quality/performance? Anyone try this sub/sat package? Thanks!

-Dan

DanaA

Screenwriter
I spent around an hour and a half recently in the Cambridge Soundworks store in San Francisco. I listened the whole time to Newtons and their Tower series. It was all music, with no home theater. To my ears, the Towers, I think they were the "1"s, wiped the floor on the Newtons. The music ranged from classical, to jazz, to rock and the difference in sound was huge. The Towers were much warmer sounding and just plain sounded better to me. Non fatiguing to the extreme. I know this is absurd, but they reminded me of Viennas. I'm sure that if they were placed side by side, I'd notice more difference, but the Vienna Beethovens sell in the range of $4500. The only advantage of the Newtons, in my opinion, was that they looked better. The kicker is that the Newtons were over twice the price. The Towers were only $899 (maybe they're in the process of being closed out) and I was sorely tempted to pick up a pair. Still am. I did come away thinking that Cambridge Soundworks does have some good speakers for a really nice price.

zane

Stunt Coordinator
i've got a sony da1es receiver hooked up with a set of Tower 2's and centerstage and a pair of s200 behind, I'm completely happy with every aspect with the speakers, the tower 2's have some serious bass so I've done without a sub for a few months and I've been completely happy although i'm in the process of building a tempest, the only negative thing I could say at all about the speakers is they don't look quite as good as some other brands but they do look good enough for me, I got the towers 2's for $509 the centerstage for $127 and the S200's for $200, In my opinion you can't go wrong with cambridge but there may be better choice if you look, another bonus is their 10 year warranty

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Dan,

I have Cambridge Soundworks speakers in my home theater room for the past year and have been happy with them. As for that package, it seems like a good deal. I have the Newton bookshelf M50s up front and an MC300 for my center. I've compared the MC200s and M50s side by side with music in my house and I liked the latter - a warmer, less trebly sound to me. Everyone's ears and tastes are different so I'd recommend going to listen to them if you can. I also have the S300s in the rear instead of the S200s. The S300s are the same as the S200s but they also have a direct/monopole mode which essentially turns them into a MC200 and allows them to cover the entire frequency range up to 20Khz. The S200s just have two midranges and is more specifically designed for home theater/surround sound use. I was able to get the S300 on sale for close to the same price as the S200 which was not on sale. One of my main reasons for choosing the S300. I don't have a CSW subwoofer but I do have a friend who bought a P500 to go along with his KEF tower front speakers and he's been more than pleased with it.

cheers,

--tom

John Hagan

Auditioning
Cambridge Soundworks is a very good company that makes outstanding speakers. Their return policy is great (45 days to try out speakers). Check out their specials on ebay, there are some great deals ...That is where I bought my Newton series speakers.

John

Oliver Closoff

Auditioning
;) I'm using the Cambridge M82 in-walls for my fronts and rears, a Cambridge Center Stage, and a Base Cube 15 sub.
These have very nice sound IMO. Certainly there is better, but not for the price. If you search on eBay you can find them refurbed under the seller Hifi.com. This is Cambridge Soundworks online store. They carry the same warranty and all mine were in prime condition. Free shipping right now too!

Jason Brent

Second Unit
I know this isn't the 'for sale' forum, but if you do go with the Cambridge setup, I have a CenterStage for sale. It was used for about a month and a half. Now it's in a box.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks