Cambridge Soundworks Newton 500 vs the world

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dr Luis D Silva, May 10, 2002.

1. Dr Luis D Silva

Has anyone had the chance to audition this speakers? In reviewboard.com they rate them as awesome and being too far from any Cambridge Soundworks store i will really apreciate your insight on this speakers. Recently auditioned the Linn's Espeks and the Revel M20,s in both stereo and 5.1 settings and the Linns really impressed me, but i later found out they were bi amped, and had the crossover feature activated(very ignorant in this matter). Has someone tested this speakers conected to a Denon 5800? If possible rate Newton 500 vs Linn Espeks vs Revel's M20's.Opinions on recommended speakers for 7.1 setup will be very much apreciated. They will be on a 26' X 15' x 10' dedicated HT room

2. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Dr. Silva...

I cannot recall where I saw a review, but the review I saw about 6 months ago on the Newton's was not favorable. I think it was in the Absolute Sound. It was very mediocre. I have not heard the Revels, but have heard the Linns. If you heard the Linns "aktiv" as they like to call it (bi-amped with an active crossover), they will sound amazing. Seeing you need to use a separate channel of amplification for each driver and the cost goes up if you use non-Linn amps (as you need to buy the active crossover from Linn), the cost for these speakers can be very price prohibitive.

I would say that even non-active, the Linns and Revels are simply in a class that far exceeds anything the Newtons can do. I hate to be a snob in this regard and there may be some Cambridge supporters out there, but I would definately consider either line over the Cambridge.

3. Mike Burke

Mike Burke Stunt Coordinator

While I feel CSW's are a great speaker in their respective price range they are NOT in Revel's league!! I have owned CSW's for almost 8 years and feel they have served me well. I listened to the Newton 500 series and they are VERY strong contenders in the 2200.00 range..I would lean to say they are my favorite full range speaker

4. Todd_Michael_R

Todd_Michael_R Stunt Coordinator

For what it's worth...
    In my subjective opinion [​IMG] ... I had a chance to audition extensively the Revel M-20s for a good 4-6 hours over a 2 week period. Holy moses...what an accurate, detailed, and wonderfully sounding speaker! For me, it was a tossup between the B&W N805s and the Revel M-20s. But in the end I preferred the more relatively forward B&W sound. It was a lengthy and painful battle between the two (after narrowing it down from a field of about 5 speaker brands). In hindsight, I truly believe I would be happy with either of them in my HT/listening room.
    Good luck!
    Todd

5. Dr Luis D Silva

Todd,how much did you pay for the B&W's? Did you get a chance to audition the Linn 5140's(now called Espeks) or anyone on this forum has?How will the latter stand against the Revels?

6. Todd_Michael_R

Todd_Michael_R Stunt Coordinator

Luis,

I paid US$1800 for my Nautilus 805s. Unfortunately, I haven't had the chance to hear the Linn line, so I can't add anything of value for you on that front.

But if it helps, some other speakers I had auditioned were: Kef RDM line, Vienna Acoustics line (Haydn and Mozart), and of course, Revel M20 and various B&W lines (600 S2, CDM-NT, and Nautilus).

Todd