Cambridge SoundWorks Ambiance 82 In-Wall Speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by ColbyTrio, Feb 12, 2004.

1. ColbyTrio

ColbyTrio Extra

How do you guys feel about the Cambridge SoundWorks Ambiance 82 In-Wall Speakers? A friend of mine has them installed in his house and they sound great. Are they good 8" In-Walls for $200 a pair? Or would you suggest another brand?

I will be using them as my front and surround speakers. I think that I will be buying a Klipsch RC-25 for my center. ANd I haven't found a sub yet.

I will be using a Denon 2803 receiver.

THanks in advance!

2. ColbyTrio

ColbyTrio Extra

Anyone?

3. GregC

GregC Stunt Coordinator

Haven't heard the Ambience in-walls but I am a big fan of the CSW Newton series of speakers. If you decide to go with CSW you will get better results with a CSW center channel that sonically matches the main speakers. If you can't get a good match, you may want to consider an alternative.

Generally, in-wall speakers are compromised in sound quality when compared to free standing. If you can go with free standing for your mains/center, you will usually get more bang for your buck. Also, understand that just because those speakers sound great in your friend's place, that doesn't necessarily mean that they will sound great in your place. Environment and speaker positioning make a huge difference in the sound of a system.

Whatever you decide to do, do your homework. Listen to a lot of in-wall and free standing speakers, then let your ears/wallet make the choice.

Good luck.

4. ColbyTrio

ColbyTrio Extra

Wow. HiFI.com has a 12" sub for $199 on-sale. THink it's worth it?

5. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

Check e-bay for the Newton IW300(In wall MC300s).They are usually 40-50% off the retail on ebay. I have the regular MC300s for my front soundstage and they sound great. I'm not a big fan of their subs because they don't perform well ( or at all) below 35hz. They do sound good at 50-60hz. Its the low end that where they really suffer. The amps aren't too powerful either. For $199, its ok but you can do better at that price point. The Dayton Tiny Mighty II gets good reviews and its around $125 at Parts Express. I think HSU makes a sub around $249 now as well.

6. ColbyTrio

ColbyTrio Extra

Mark,

The 82's are the same price as the 300IW's... On Cambridge's web site they list the 300IW's as "Best", with the 82's a step higher at "WOW". DOes that mean the 82's sound better?

I have heard the older 8" CSW In-Walls and they are amazing. If the 300IW's or the 82's sound even better then I will be one happy man.

7. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

I didn't realize the 82s were the "better" speaker according to CSW. I don't always agree w/their own ratings. I was in the store two weeks ago and I checked out the MC100, MC150 and MC200 to replace my rears. Of the three, I thought the MC100 sounded the best. Its also the cheapest of the three. If you have an opportunity to visit the store beforehand, try them both. I can't really comment on the 82s, so they could sound better.