What's new

Cambridge Sound Works (1 Viewer)

DaveRiley

Auditioning
Recently picked up a new receiver, and now I'm starting the phase of cycling through my speakers replacing them all. I've heard some very good things about Cambridge Sound Works and, if they're as good as I've heard, their prices seem pretty reasonable.

Anyone have any experience with them?

Tony--C

Auditioning
I bought one of the original Ensemble sub-sat systems (the one with the two seperate woofers) 10 years ago, and thought they were fine until used them for home theater. The Surround II and Center Channel Plus sound thin and weak with a DVD. Now the sats are used with a different sub as my computer speakers. I also bought by parents one of the Movieworks systems for Christmas last year. They are very pleased, but most certainly not audiophiles.

That said, my experience has been positive. They repaired a sub that had blown just after the warranty expired, but it took forever to get it back. And I would NEVER buy anything from them at full price. They run sales all the time, and regular prices are high for what you get. I have never heard any of the Newtons, nor do I know anyone who has. Hope this helps.

John_Blakus

Auditioning
The CSW Newton series are very good speakers. Audiophiles often disregard them for more stylish, higher priced boutique boxes. No bragging or snob appeal here just good performance.

The Newton towers are especially good models if you have the budget. However, the moderately priced M80 bookshelves are consistently ranked among the best in their class. The S300 are great multi-poled surrounds. CSW also probably makes some of the best subwoofers you can get. Many of their boxes are plain grey or white, not the prettiest, but sound very good.

The only way to see these speakers is online or in a catalog. But you do get 45 days to try them in home. Which is really the best way to decide on speakers.

The best advise is to listen to several speakers to know where your tastes lie. Let your ears decide for you.
Good luck and have fun.

Jeff W.

Stunt Coordinator
I use Newton MC200's for surrounds and a MC300 for back-surround, I love them. My BassCube8 is going on 5 years old now and still kicking. For the money, you really can't go wrong, they will easily outperform anything from the "mall" brands (ie Sony, Pioneer, JVC, etc) in their price range.

They do have a few stores in the San Francisco and Boston areas, I recommend anyone go listen to them when they are shopping for speakers, they will surprise you. Plus, if all the stores are like my local one, they have a teriffic listening room setup and the sales people really know their s$@% (unlike at the chain stores).

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
I was just at CSW last nite, in the mall. I'm very happy w/my Newton MC300's that are my front soundstage. CSW has excellent customer service and an even better return policy. 45 days to "audition" and you can trade up too. I feel their newton subs are a little overpriced but otherwise, you can't go wrong.

DanaA

Screenwriter
Although the speakers weren't quite right for me personally, I can vouch for their customer service. It was exemplary. Twice I returned items to them and both times they were amazingly cordial and polite. Zero questioning about why I was returning them, nor was there any trying to talk me out of it. By the way, just because the speakers weren't my cup of tea, doesn't mean they're not good speakers...just that our tastes are all different.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks